Jay Bruce, out since Aug. 30, expected to return Tuesday

1 Comment

The Reds dropped five straight games last week, but they’ve now won two in a row at home against the Pirates and are again looking like a postseason-worthy ball club.  Oh, and they’re about to get a big offensive boost thanks to the return of a power-hitting outfielder.

Jay Bruce, sidelined August 30 due to a sore right side, is expected to make his way back into the Reds’ lineup early this week, according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.

“We’re targeting Tuesday,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “They said he
won’t completely heal 100 percent until the winter. Waiting a couple of
more weeks is going to help but it’s not going to … so we may have to
space him. He’s very close. He let it out pretty good yesterday. He
swung pretty good.”

Bruce, 23, posted an unimpressive .266/.339/.446 batting line over 323 at-bats during the first half of the season but he’s hit eight homers and registered an .860 OPS since the All-Star break and has helped solidify the middle of the Reds’ batting order. 

The Reds currently hold a seven-game lead over the Cardinals in the National League Central.

Shawn Tolleson becomes a free agent

Leave a comment

The Rangers outrighted reliever Shawn Tolleson off the 40-man roster on Wednesday. Rather than accept the assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, Tolleson has opted to become a free agent, Rangers executive VP of communications John Blake reports.

Tolleson, 28, emerged as a closer for the Rangers in 2015, but his follow-up campaign this year was dreadful. He finished with a 7.68 ERA and a 29/10 K/BB ratio in 36 1/3 innings. He eventually went on the 60-day disabled list with a back injury.

Despite the nightmarish season, it’s easy to see a team deciding to take a flier on Tolleson for the 2017 season.

Indians strongly considering starting Carlos Santana in left field sans DH

TORONTO, ON - OCTOBER 19:  Carlos Santana #41 of the Cleveland Indians celebrates after hitting a solo home run in the third inning against Marco Estrada #25 of the Toronto Blue Jays during game five of the American League Championship Series at Rogers Centre on October 19, 2016 in Toronto, Canada.  (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Elsa/Getty Images
1 Comment

Indians slugger Carlos Santana hasn’t played in the outfield in a major league game since 2012, but the Indians are strongly considering starting him in left field for Game 3 of the World Series at Wrigley Field on Friday, MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports. As the game is hosted in a National League park, there is no DH rule in effect, so the Indians might otherwise have to keep Santana on the bench.

Santana is hitless in six at-bats in the World Series thus far, but he has drawn two walks. He has overall not had a great postseason, carrying an aggregate .564 OPS in 40 plate appearances since the beginning of the playoffs. Still, during the regular season, he had an .865 OPS so he can certainly be a threat on offense at any given moment.