It’s not all bad news for the Mets. According to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star-Ledger, Jason Bay told reporters on Friday that he is still hoping to return this season.
“I haven’t had a headache in about a week — four or five days,” the Mets
left fielder said prior to Friday night’s game against the Phillies.
“I’ve just kind of been taking it slow. I feel great. Now it’s just
getting back into shape and not trying to do it all at once and get
yourself set back.”
He plans to start swinging a bat within the next few days, which will be his first baseball activity since going on the disabled list with a concussion at the end of July. Bay said he intends to play again this season, even if he only has the chance to play for one week.
Bay still has to get back into baseball shape, so the clock is ticking, but his sense of humor is still as sharp as ever. Here’s what he had to say when he was asked if he was going to have any issues with bright lights or loud noises at the ballpark.
“I’m OK with that stuff,” Bay said. “A lot of that wasn’t the issue. It
was more the headaches and more headaches from exertion. I’m Canadian,
so bright lights bother me anyway.”
Don’t worry, Jason. By the time the Mets finish up the season with a seven-game homestand against the Brewers and Nationals, Citi Field will probably be the quietest place on Earth.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Royals have signed free agent reliever Neftali Feliz, pending a physical. The Brewers designated Feliz for assignment last week and released him on Monday.
Feliz, 29, opened the season as the Brewers’ closer, but struggled and was eventually taken out of the role in mid-May, giving way to Corey Knebel. In 29 appearances spanning 27 innings with the Brewers, Feliz posted a 6.00 ERA with a 21/15 K/BB ratio.
The Royals have had bullpen issues of their own, so Feliz will try to provide some stability given his track record. It’s not clear yet if the Royals want to let Feliz get his feet wet at Triple-A or throw him right into the bullpen mix.
Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.
Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.
In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).