Ho-hum: Mark Buehrle was called for two balks last night

6 Comments

And you’ll never guess who the umpiring crew was. That’s right. Joe West’s crew. As you probably remember, West ejected Buehrle and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen after he called the left-hander for two balks in May. He was later fined for his actions.

While West didn’t call any of the balks himself this time — first base umpire Dan Bellino called the first one and home plate umpire Angel Hernandez called the second — West was stationed at third base.

Buehrle didn’t have a tough time putting two and two together, according to Scott Merkin of MLB.com.

“I don’t know. I’ve got four balks — and they’re all against this
crew,” Buehrle said. “I’ve looked at the replay, and you look at side
angles. We’ve got cameras from every angle. I stepped the same, just
like I do every time.”

Buehrle managed to stay in the game this time, but White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was ejected after arguing the second balk call with Hernandez. He even had some words with West on the way out.

“I wish I was in Venezuela. I could say whatever I want,” Guillen said.
“But I’ve got to protect my players. I never thought it was a balk, but
when they called the balk you have to respect that. But this is my job,
to go there and protect them. I will do anything to protect my players.
That’s what I do best.”

I have a feeling this isn’t the last we have heard of this situation. My only regret is that we didn’t get to hear Hawk Harrelson doing the play-by-play of this game. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to settle for this amazing soundboard.

Mets are considering pushing back Jacob deGrom’s next start

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 18: Jacob deGrom #48 of the New York Mets pitches against the San Francisco Giants during the first inning at AT&T Park on August 18, 2016 in San Francisco, California.  (Photo by Jason O. Watson/Getty Images)
Jason O. Watson/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets are concerned with starter Jacob deGrom and are considering pushing back his next start, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo reports. The club thinks the right-hander is fatigued.

deGrom, 28, has had another strong season, currently standing with a 2.96 ERA and a 137/32 K/BB ratio in 143 innings. However, he’s battled command issues in his last two starts. Against the Giants and Cardinals, he gave up a combined 13 earned runs on 25 hits and three walks with eight strikeouts in nine and two-thirds innings.

The Mets are already without Steven Matz, Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, and Jon Niese. deGrom’s recent bout is just the latest in what has been a season-long starting pitching struggle for the club. Nevertheless, only the Cubs (2.85) and Nationals (3.57) have posted a better aggregate starting pitching ERA than the Mets’ 3.66.

Rangers call up Carlos Gomez, designate Drew Stubbs for assignment

HOUSTON, TX - JULY 08:  Carlos Gomez #30 of the Houston Astros waits for batting practice to being before playing the Oakland Athletics at Minute Maid Park on July 8, 2016 in Houston, Texas.  (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)
Bob Levey/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rangers have called up outfielder Carlos Gomez from Triple-A Round Rock and designated outfielder Drew Stubbs for assignment, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Gomez is in Thursday night’s starting lineup against the Indians, batting eighth and playing left field.

Gomez, 30, put up a paltry .210/.272/.322 triple-slash line in 323 plate appearances for the Astros. That forced the Astros to designate him for assignment before eventually releasing him earlier this month.

In 14 plate appearances with Round Rock, Gomez racked up two singles, a double, and a triple. The Rangers hope he can fill the void left by Shin-Soo Choo, who is expected to miss the rest of the season.