The Reds may have already run out of patience with Aaron Harang

4 Comments

The Reds are still in very good shape in the NL Central, but they aren’t about to rest on their laurels.

Including today’s loss to the Rockies, Aaron Harang has allowed seven runs — five earned — with a lousy 3/6 K/BB ratio over his first two starts since coming off the disabled list. After failing to make it through five innings in either outing, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he will soon make a decision about whether Harang will remain in the starting rotation.

“Yeah, pretty soon,” Baker said. “We’ll discuss things and see. We
can’t have these short outings. That puts pressure on my bullpen for the
ensuing days after that.”

It just so happened that Edinson Volquez pitched on the same turn Monday with Single-A Dayton, allowing two runs on six hits over six innings while walking three and striking out 10.

Volquez was sent to the minors last week in order to work on his mechanics. One year removed from Tommy John surgery, he has a 6.17 ERA and 36/27 K/BB ratio over seven starts with the Reds this season. Volquez isn’t exactly a stable option at the moment, but he’s looking like the logical choice to get the call against the Pirates this weekend.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.