UPDATE: I guess I jumped the gun earlier when I said that the Manny-to-the-White Sox thing was a done deal as a straight waiver claim, because it’s only within the last few minutes that all of the reputable reporters are saying it’s confirmed. Maybe I dreamed it all.
Also, Nightengale has now backtracked from his earlier report: Manny was waiting for the deal to be finalized before leaving for Cleveland. He will still join the team sometime tonight, but won’t make it in time to be in the lineup.
11:03 A.M.: Bob Nightengale just tweeted that Manny Ramirez is en route to Cleveland as we speak and thus should be in the lineup for tonight’s White Sox-Indians matchup.
It will be cute to see national writers try to jam in some “Manny-returns-to-Cleveland” angle to this. Indians fans really don’t care much about him anymore. He left there after the 2000 season, for crying out loud. That’s ancient history for Indians fans. Sandy Alomar, Chuck Finley, Charles Nagy and David Justice played on that team. It was, like, 110 Manny-years ago.
By the way, it’s been confirmed that the transaction to send Ramirez to Chicago was a straight waiver claim deal with nothing going back to Los Angeles other than the salary relief Manny’s one month and change away from the team will bring.
NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.
Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.
“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”
Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.
“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”
Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.
The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.
Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.
Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.
Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.