Brandon Webb is an optimistic chap these days. He wants to pitch yet before the season is over and thinks he can do it. Plus, he likes the looks of the Dbacks’ revamped pitching staff and would like to be part of it next year:
“I like the pitching staff
a lot,” he said. “The young guys are doing a great job. I think they’re
only going to get better, getting experience and stuff up here. I think
they’re going to be really good. I’d definitely like to be a part of
that next year.”
Recall last January he was talking about taking his talents back closer to his Kentucky home. Of course then he still had hopes of putting up a nice walk year that could land him some free agent interest.
At this point, however, he’s only going to get himself an incentive-laden deal, and one figures that the best incentives would be offered by the team that knows his health and pitching status the best (i.e. the Dbacks). Everyone else would be taking an even greater and more ill-informed gamble.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.