UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, it turns out that Hairston will be placed on the disabled list before Saturday’s game. Padres manager Bud Black said they are still working through a corresponding roster move, however Brock writes that is likely to be either Oscar Salazar or Everth Cabrera.
9:05 PM, Friday: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Jerry Hairston Jr. said that he will likely need 2-3 weeks in order to rest a strained right elbow.
He won’t go on the disabled list since September 1 is just around the corner, but according to Brock, it sounds like the team is even debating shutting him down. If so, that would be a tought blow to the first-place Padres.
The 34-year-old Hairston is batting .249/.305/.362 with 10 home runs, 50 RBI, 51 runs scored and nine stolen bases this season. Of course, his value transcends his batting line, as the versatile Hairston has made appearances at shortstop, second base, third base, right field and and left field this season.
The recent addition of Miguel Tejada and the return of David Eckstein will help to cushion the blow at least a little bit, but you better believe that the unsung Hairston will be missed.
The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.
Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.
Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”
As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.
Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”