Yankees' Ivan Nova being investigated by MLB


According to a report in the New York Post, MLB is investigating Yankees pitchers Ivan Nova and Wilkin De La Rosa over concerns they injected each other with B-12 shots last year as teammates at Double-A Trenton.
B-12 shots are not included in MLB’s list of prohibited substances, but only licensed physicians are allowed to inject players with medication. Also, according to the Post, MLB wants to confirm that it was, in fact, B-12 the platers were using.
Nova, 23, made his major league debut back in May as a reliever for the Bombers. He was recently recalled to the majors, and he allowed two runs in 5 1/3 innings in a start against the Blue Jays on Monday. The Yankees rewarded him by naming the starter for Sunday’s game against the White Sox.
The 25-year-old De La Rosa is still with Trenton and has a 5.00 ERA in eight starts and 25 relief appearances this year.

Major League Baseball finds insufficient evidence to discipline Miguel Sano for sexual assualt

Getty Images
Leave a comment

In late December Betsy Bissen, a photographer for the Minnesota Twins website, Twins Daily, alleged that Miguel Sano assaulted her a few years ago. Bissen offered a detailed account of the incident.

In the account she said that in 2015 Sano was at an autograph signing at a store at which she volunteered. After the signing, she alleged that Sano grabbed her wrist and forced her to accompany him to a nearby store, attempted to force her through a doorway near the restrooms, tried to kiss her multiple times and continued to hold her, forcibly and painfully, by her wrist, in an effort to get her into the bathroom with him. She said the struggle lasted for 10 minutes, and her screams for help went unanswered.

Major League Baseball announced that it was investigating the matter. A few moments ago, it announced its findings and that it was declining to discipline Sano:

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball has completed its investigation into an assault allegation made against Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano. The comprehensive investigation included interviews of more than 20 individuals, including Sano and the complainant, as well as a review of available documents, including communication records.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the Office of the Commissioner found that there was insufficient evidence to support a disciplinary determination against Sano, due to conflicting and inconsistent witness accounts and the absence of contemporaneous substantiation. Barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, the Office of the Commissioner will not impose discipline on Sano in connection with the alleged incident.

Based on the text of the statement, one may conclude that the league did not find Bissen’s claims to be credible.

This is first investigation of this type, or pursuant to its domestic violence policy under the umbrella of which this investigation presumably falls, which has not resulted in discipline of some kind. At least investigations of which the public was aware.