J.J. Putz and Matt Thornton headed to the disabled list

6 Comments

Bobby Jenks is essentially back as Ozzie Guillen’s closer, but he didn’t get there without a body count. J.J. Putz re-injured his right knee last night against the Orioles and Matt Thornton hasn’t appeared in a game since last Tuesday’s due to soreness in his forearm. After last night’s 7-5 win, Guillen told the Chicago Sun-Times that both pitchers were going to be placed on the disabled list.

”Well, Thornton is down, Putz is down, we’ve got to add two guys,”
Guillen said. ”I need some guys that can go out there. I’m not saying
we’re in trouble, but everyone in the bullpen has to pick it up a notch
for at least the next seven days because we won’t have Thornton. We have
to step it up a notch. We’ll figure it out.”

Putz underwent an MRI on Monday which revealed no structural damage in the knee, however last night was the second time in his last three appearances that he was forced to leave a game due to injury. The 33-year-old right-hander has allowed seven runs — six earned — over his last 5 2/3 innings (9.53 ERA) after giving up just eight runs over his first 41 1/3 innings this season, so it’s clear something just isn’t right with him.

As for Thornton, he also underwent an MRI on Monday which showed no structural damage in his forearm and elbow area, however he did have some receive an injection to dry up fluid in the affected area. According to Scott Merkin of MLB.com, Thornton said before last night’s game that he likely wouldn’t be available to pitch until next week’s series against the Indians, so there’s no use in wasting a roster spot any longer.

It comes at a tough time for the White Sox, who enter play Wednesday 3 1/2 games behind the first-place Twins in the American League Central. Their depleted bullpen will surely be tested during a three-game series against the Yankees this weekend. 

Brock Holt has been shut down from game activity

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Things have gone from bad to worse for Red Sox’ outfielder Brock Holt, who was shut down “for the foreseeable future” on Friday after meeting with head trauma specialist Michael Collins. The Red Sox placed Holt on the 10-day disabled list in April after he began experiencing vertigo, the latest in a series of head injuries he’s sustained since last spring.

According to the Boston Herald’s Jason Mastrodonato, the outfielder was initially advised to attempt playing through his symptoms, but it quickly became apparent that the strategy wasn’t going to work. Now, the plan is to shut him down from any game activity in the hopes that he’ll be able to recover from all lingering symptoms before returning to the roster. Club manager John Farrell told reporters that the 28-year-old is still cleared to take batting practice and work on his defense, but won’t continue his rehab starts in Triple-A Pawtucket for the time being.

Holt had been making regular appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox and was batting .209/.292/.372 with two home runs through 14 games this spring. This season marks his fifth run within the Red Sox’ organization. He experienced a bit of a slump at the plate in 2016 and slashed .255/.322/.383 after breaking out during his first All-Star year in 2015.

Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe suggests that the team’s concern for Holt extends past his setbacks at the plate. It’s still a long road to a full recovery, and while Farrell told reporters he believes the outfielder is on track to make a return sometime in 2017, he’ll need to make sure that Holt is both physically and mentally prepared to do so.

Nationals Acquire Ryan Raburn From White Sox

Getty Images
3 Comments

The Washington Nationals have acquired outfielder Ryan Raburn from the Chicago White Sox. Raburn had been playing at Triple-A Charlotte. He’ll be assigned to Triple-A Syracuse in the Nats organization. The Nationals will send cash or a player to be named later to the White Sox to complete the deal.

Raburn has yet to play in the majors this season. Last year he hit .220/.309/.404 with nine homers in 113 games for the Colorado Rockies. The year before that he hit an excellent .301/.393/.543 in part time play for the Indians. Over the course of his 11 year career the 36-year-old has hit .253/.317/.436, which breaks down to an OPS+ of exactly 100, which is league average. Primarily an outfielder, Raburn has played every position except shortstop and catcher in his career. He’s even pitched twice.

The Nats plans for him aren’t entirely clear, but depth it depth.