Scully announces future plans: for now, not retiring

6 Comments

UPDATE:  Scully has decided to return.

8:52 AM:  Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.

Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement.  He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.

It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully.  He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.

Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:

“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday’s] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
do it.”

It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good.  If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.

With Adam Jones ailing, Orioles add Borbon to outfield

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - AUGUST 13: Adam Jones #10 of the Baltimore Orioles reacts after being hit in the hand by a pitch in the sixth against the San Francisco Giants inning during an interleague game at AT&T Park on August 13, 2016 in San Francisco, California. (Photo by Lachlan Cunningham/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

NEW YORK — With star outfielder Adam Jones nursing a tender hamstring, the Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of Julio Borbon from Double-A Bowie and optioned pitcher Mike Wright to Triple-A Norfolk.

Borbon was inserted in the starting lineup for Baltimore, batting ninth against hard-throwing New York Yankees rookie Chad Green.

“We had some other center field options,” manager Buck Showalter said. “Borbon is our best option at this point.”

Jones left Friday’s game in the second inning with a left hamstring strain. He departed the previous night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with hamstring cramps and aggravated the injury hustling down the first base line on a soft grounder to third.

“I got a feeling that if he hadn’t had that first swinging bunt, it might not have been a problem,” Showalter indicated. “He’s not going to trot to first base as much as I talked to him about it before the game.”

Although Jones was unable to talk his way into Saturday’s lineup, Showalter speculated that he might be available to pinch-hit.

The 30-year old Borbon was 2 for 9 in five games with the Orioles earlier this season, but was designated for assignment on July 26. To create room for Borbon on the 40-man roster, pitcher Logan Ondrusek was designated for assignment on Friday.

No structural damage found in Andrew Benintendi’s knee

ST. PETERSBURG, FL - AUGUST 24:  Shortstop Matt Duffy #5 of the Tampa Bay Rays tags out Andrew Benintendi #40 of the Boston Red Sox after Dustin Pedroia grounded into the double play  during the seventh inning of a game on August 24, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Brian Blanco/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Good news in Boston: An MRI on Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi‘s left knee revealed no structural damage.

Benintendi slipped while trying to avoid a tag at second base, injuring his leg, but it appears he’s avoided a serious injury. A timetable for his return isn’t known at this point, but the Red Sox expect to get him back before the end of the season.

Benintendi is hitting .324/.365/.485 with a homer and ten RBI in 21 games.