Carlos Delgado placed on minor league disabled list

Leave a comment

The hits just keep on coming.

According to Mike Petaglia of WEEI.com, Carlos Delgado was placed on the seven-day disabled list with Triple-A Pawtucket due to continued back soreness unrelated to his surgically-repaired right hip. The 38-year-old slugger was signed to minor league contract two weeks ago. He was 3-for-13 (.231) with two RBI over his first five games with the PawSox, however he has been out of the lineup since August 15 due to the injury.

“I don’t think he got hurt,” Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. “I
think he was sore. I don’t think there’s an injury, per se. I think he’s
just sore and it’s not the side of his repaired hip.”

In fact, according to what Triple-A Pawtucket manager Torey Lovullo told Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, Delgado actually tweaked his left side while overcompensating for the injury.

The Red Sox hoped to have Delgado join them when rosters expand on September 1 — he actually has an out-clause if he isn’t on the major league roster by then — but he’s going to have to prove he can stay healthy first. 

Jonny Venters is back in the majors

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Rays announced on Wednesday that the club purchased the contract of lefty reliever Jonny Venters from Triple-A Durham. The 33-year-old hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to a continuous battle with arm injuries. The Rays note that he has undergone two and a half Tommy John surgeries, which is a number that seems to be in dispute.

Venters signed a minor league contract with the Rays in December. With Durham so far this season, he gave up two runs (one earned) on four hits and five walks with six strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.

Before the injuries, Venters was among the best relievers in 2010-11. In those two seasons, he posted a combined 1.89 ERA with 189 strikeouts and 82 walks in 171 innings.