UPDATE: According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, the Yankees have decided to place Alex Rodriguez on the disabled list due to his lingering right calf injury.
“We’re going to play it safe,” Joe Girardi said. “We don’t think he’s any worse than the time before.”
Barring a trade, Eduardo Nunez, who notched his first major league hit — a go-ahead single in today’s 9-5 win over the Mariners — and Ramiro Pena figure to fill in at third base during his absence.
23-year-old right-hander Ivan Nova will take A-Rod’s place on the active roster and start against the Blue Jays on Monday.
8:42 AM: Alex Rodriguez was back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter on Friday night after missing three straight games with a right calf injury, however he was only able to make it through one at-bat before being pulled.
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Rodriguez said he felt something when he grounded out to third base in the third inning.
“My swing, and probably that first step out of the box, I felt
something,” Rodriguez said. “I don’t think it’s any worse [than before].
I think it’s probably the same.”
If you watched the game or saw the replay, it looked like there was some obvious discomfort as soon as he prepared to run to first base. He actually stayed in the game until Austin Kearns pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the fourth.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Rodriguez will probably miss the next few days, however he doesn’t believe he will need a trip to the disabled list. No further tests have been scheduled.
After the Yanks are done with the Mariners this weekend, they’ll travel to Toronto for a three-game series beginning Monday. One would think we’d have to see some rapid improvement for him to play on artificial turf.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that the Diamondbacks and outfielder A.J. Pollock have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year extension. The deal is worth $10.25 million, per ESPN’s Buster Olney.
Pollock was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter. The 28-year-old requested $3.9 million and was offered $3.65 million by the Diamondbacks when figures were exchanged on January 15. It wasn’t much of a gap, but the two sides were ultimately able to find common ground on a multi-year deal. Pollock will still be under team control for one more year after this new deal expires.
Pollock is coming off a breakout 2015 where he batted .315/.367/.498 with 20 home runs, 76 RBI, and 39 stolen bases over 157 games. He ranked sixth among position players with 7.4 WAR (Wins Above Replacement), according to Baseball Reference.
The Blue Jays and 2015 American League Most Valuable Player Josh Donaldson have avoided arbitration by agreeing to a two-year, $29 million contract, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca.
Donaldson was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. He filed for $11.8 million and was offered $11.35 million by the Blue Jays when figures were exchanged last month. It wasn’t a big gap, but since the Blue Jays are a “file and trial” team, they bring these cases to an arbitration hearing unless a multi-year deal can be worked out. As opposed to last winter, they were able to avoid a hearing this time around. Donaldson was originally a Super Two player, so he’ll still have one year of arbitration-eligibility once this two-year deal is completed.
The 30-year-old Donaldson is coming off a monster first season in Toronto where he batted .297/.371/.568 with 41 homers while leading the American League with 123 RBI.
Brandon Belt filed for $7.5 million and was offered $5.3 million by the Giants when arbitration figures were exchanged last month. That’s a pretty sizable gap. While there’s still a chance that an agreement will be worked out at the last minute, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that an arbitration hearing is scheduled for Wednesday.
The Giants haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since 2004, when they lost to catcher A.J. Pierzynski. Schulman hears from one person involved that because of the gap between Belt and the Giants, there’s a real chance this will break that string and require a hearing.
Belt batted .280/.356/.478 with 18 home runs and 68 RBI over 137 games in 2015, but he dealt with concussion symptoms for the second straight season. An arbitration hearing could bring some unpleasant conversation to the surface.
The Padres have inked veteran utility player Skip Schumaker to a minor league contract, per FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal.
Schumaker, who turned 36 last week, has spent the last two seasons with the Reds. He batted .242/.306/.336 with one home run and 21 RBI over 131 games last season while making starts between all three outfield spots and second base. Cincinnati cut ties with him in November after declining a $2.5 million club option for 2016.
While Schumaker had to settle for a non-guaranteed deal here, it would be no surprise to see him land a bench job with the Padres come Opening Day.