Bryce Harper won't make his pro debut this season

Leave a comment

The Nationals agreed to terms with No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper on a five-year, $9.9 million contract earlier this week, however he won’t make his pro debut this season.

According to Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said that the teenage hitting sensation will soon travel to Viera, Florida in order to work out with the organization’s Gulf Coast League team, however he won’t begin playing in games until the Florida instructional league begins in late-September.

“We’ll prepare him for instructional league in Florida,” Rizzo said.
“He’ll get his work in with the GCL team, not playing any games.
Contractually, he’s not going to play any games.”

We’ve heard whispers that Harper will also play in the Arizona Fall League, however Rizzo told Goessling that there’s only an “outside possibly” of him playing there. Either way, his official pro debut won’t be until next season.

Four baseballs autographed by Jose Fernandez wash ashore

MIAMI, FL - AUGUST 03: Jose Fernandez #16 of the Miami Marlins looks on during a game against the New York Mets at Marlins Park on August 3, 2015 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
3 Comments

This is just . . . ugh.

WSVN-TV in Miami reports that a black bag containing Jose Fernandez’s checkbook and four baseballs signed by him washed ashore on Miami Beach. Probably a bag to keep stuff dry while out on the water.

The bag was given to a lifeguard. Hopefully the bag finds its way back to Fernandez’s family quickly.

Marlins sign Martin Prado to a three-year extension

ATLANTA, GA - AUGUST 06:  Martin Prado #14 of the Miami Marlins hits a sacrifice fly in the third inning during the game against the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field on August 6, 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.  (Photo by Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images)
Getty Images
1 Comment

The Miami Herald reports that the Marlins and Martin Prado have agreed to a three-year, $40 million contracy extension.

Prado has been highly effective for Miami, hitting .297/.350/.405 over two seasons The Marlins were eager to keep him and many teams were no doubt interested in trying to sign him this winter as he stood pretty darn tall on a pretty weak free agent market. He may very well have done better than the $40 million he’s getting, but a qualifying offer could’ve made the free agency process a bit more drawn out one than he would’ve preferred. And, of course, he seems very happy in Miami, as evidenced by his increasing role as a team leader with the Marlins.

For his career Prado has hit .293/.342/.423 over 11 seasons. He’ll now be locked up through his age-35 campaign.