Document shows that Jamie McCourt does too own the Dodgers

7 Comments

Recently there has been some noise about Jamie and Frank McCourt settling their divorce case and Frank buying Jamie out. A lot of this is likely borne of a desire to avoid a nasty trail that would likely have a lot of stuff about people sleeping with people who weren’t their spouse at the time and overpaid faith healers and other ugly things showing how the rich are different than you and me.

A lot of it, however, likely also has to do with the fact that Jamie faces a pretty tough fight to get around that document she signed basically giving the Dodgers to Frank in exchange for all of their personal real estate.  But that part of the equation may be changing:

Jamie McCourt’s attorneys said Thursday they have located a document
showing she has an equal stake in the ownership of the Los Angeles
Dodgers and that the revelation will dramatically alter a bitter
struggle for the team amid McCourt’s divorce proceedings . . .

. . . Thursday’s filing contends that newly discovered documents correctly
spell out the team’s ownership, granting Jamie McCourt a stake. The
agreement was located after a forensic analysis of other documents in
the case revealed that another copy of the 2004 agreement improperly
included an exhibit designating Frank McCourt as the Dodgers’ sole
owner.

Shockingly, Jamie’s lawyers say this is huge while Frank’s lawyers say it’s not.  It is wonderfully crazy, though, as big surprises on the eve of a trial often are.  Indeed, the only thing that would make this better is if a ragged man appeared at the back of a courtroom claiming — Martin Guerre-style — that he was the real Frank McCourt.

In other news, this day has officially been lost to baseball nutcases and their legal problems, so if Pete Rose or someone else wants to pipe up, now would be a great time to do so.

Report: Mets showing interest in Bartolo Colon

Getty Images
2 Comments

Last month, free agent right-hander Bartolo Colon told reporters that he’d be open to taking a minor league deal in 2018, but only if he was guaranteed a return to the Mets’ system. The 44-year-old starter is nearing the end of a 20-year career, and it makes sense that he’d want to have one last hurrah in the city where he had some of his most productive years.

Now, Twins starter Ervin Santana tells Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press, it looks like the Mets might also be open to a reunion. It’s doubtful that Colon has all that much left in the tank, especially following a combined 7-14 record and 6.48 ERA for the Braves and Twins last year, but he’s not necessarily looking to reproduce the 15+ win, sub-4.00 ERA totals of years past.

Instead, Santana says, Colon is seeking the opportunity to win just six more games. He’ll enter the 2018 season five wins shy of the all-time record for a Latin American-born player, and is hoping to claim that title for himself before he enters retirement in 2019. Former Orioles and Expos hurler Dennis Martinez currently holds the record after clinching his 245th win back in 1998. While it took Colon a full season of starts to come up with even seven wins in 2017, he’s only one year removed from a 15-win campaign in 2016. Provided that the Mets are willing to gamble on him again, the milestone may not be that far out of reach.