I’m guessing that Dusty Baker may want to bump Johnny Cueto’s next start against the Cardinals to, oh, 2024 or so:
Catcher Jason LaRue, who suffered a concussion last Tuesday
when he was kicked in the head by Cincinnati pitcher Johnny Cueto
reportedly still is having issues and his return is not
Asked if LaRue might be out for the season, general manager John
Mozeliak said today, “I’m concerned. I don’t think we’ve crossed
the bridge yet to determine if he’s going to miss the remaining
part of the season.
“But given the fact that we’re now 10 days out (actually eight)
from that injury, it’s concerning. Right now I think we’re just
going to let him have some rest and get away from this a little and
he’ll be reevaluated early next week.”
LaRue, of course, suffered the concussion when he was
kicked in the head by Cueto during that fracas in Cincinnati last week.
Tomorrow will mark a week since the Red Sox reportedly inked outfielder J.D. Martinez to a five-year, $110 million contract. The signing hasn’t been made official yet, however, due to an apparent medical issue. That will change tomorrow morning as the Red Sox have a press conference scheduled with Martinez where they’re expected to announce the signing at long last, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports.
According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the terms of the deal aren’t expected to change. Presumably, the Red Sox had some safeguards put into the contract to protect them against whatever spooked them with the results of Martinez’s physical.
Martinez, 30, was the top free agent hitter after batting .303/.376/.690 with 45 home runs and 104 RBI in 489 plate appearances last season with the Tigers and Diamondbacks. He has expressed an interest in continuing to play in the outfield, but MLB.com’s Ian Browne says he will get a majority of his playing time as a DH with the Red Sox. Hanley Ramirez will share first base with Mitch Moreland.