UPDATE: Mets place Francisco Rodriguez on disqualified list

4 Comments

UPDATE: According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Players Association executive director Michael Weiner confirms that the player’s union will contest the Mets’ decision.

7:34 PM: The Mets placed Francisco Rodriguez on the disqualified list, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, making his contract non-guaranteed.

Rodriguez won’t be paid while on the list, which at least reserves them the right to void the contract. Just a short while ago, Craig told us that the Mets won’t attempt to void the contract and from what Jeff Wilpon said during the conference call, it sure sounds like he will be activated once he proves he is recovered from thumb surgery during spring training next season.

In other words, he won’t be paid for the rest of this season (somewhere around $3 million) which is pretty much what we expected. It’s not known if the union will attempt to contest the team’s decision.

I’m no legal expert — that’s Craig’s bag — but I am a Mets fan. It’s only natural to have the knee-jerk reaction that the Mets should attempt to void the entire contract — and I had that fleeting feeling, as well — but they’d almost certainly be pushing their luck. The Mets have also given us little evidence to suggest that they would spend any of the money saved on K-Rod’s contract wisely.  

Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
3 Comments

The Marlins announced on Sunday that outfielder Giancarlo Stanton will defend his Home Run Derby title when the city of Miami host’s the All-Star Game festivities next month.

Stanton, 27, defeated Todd Frazier in the finals of last year’s Home Run Derby at Petco Park, hitting 20 home runs to Frazier’s 13. Stanton hit a total of 61 home runs in the Derby. This will be the third Home Run Derby in which Stanton has participated.

Stanton also went 1-for-3 with a solo home run to help the Marlins defeat the Cubs 4-2 on Sunday. He’s now batting .274/.357/.551 with 20 home runs and 49 RBI in 311 plate appearances.

Aaron Hicks to go on the disabled list with an oblique injury

Mike Stobe/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yankees outfielder Aaron Hicks left Sunday’s game against the Rangers after four innings due to soreness in his right oblique. After the game, Hicks said he expects to go on the 10-day disabled list and miss the next three to four weeks, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports.

Hicks was 1-for-2 with a single before departing on Sunday. He entered the game batting .288/.397/.515 with 10 home runs and 37 RBI in 198 plate appearances. It is by far the best season of his career.

Jacoby Ellsbury is on his way back from a concussion, so the Yankees will only have to bridge the gap in center field for a week or two. Mason Williams could draw some starts in center field in the meantime.