K-Rod returns to mound, pitches scoreless inning

1 Comment

Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez returned to the mound Saturday for the first time since being arrested for assaulting and harassing the father of his girlfriend on Wednesday night at Citi Field.

Rodriguez was showered with boos from the home crowd as he entered, but he pitched a scoreless frame in a non-save situation and even talked with reporters after the game.  Of course he didn’t say much.

“That’s something that’s personal,” Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Andy McCulllough when asked about
apologizing to his teammates. “I don’t think I have to share with you.  I’m not going to comment on that. I’ve already said enough.”

K-Rod apologized to his teammates, Mets fans and higher-ups in the organization before Saturday’s game in a one-minute statement.  He will enroll in anger management counseling and intends to make small steps toward being a better person.  Honestly, we hope it all works it out.  The 28-year-old has lost some serious velocity on his fastball and is only a shadow of his mid-2000s self, but that’s how athletics work for everyone.  And he is still pretty darn good.

Video: Hanley Ramirez’s No. 250 career home run barely left the field

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Hanley Ramirez played a pivotal role during the Red Sox’ 9-4 win over the Angels on Friday night, crushing a two-run homer off of Alex Meyer to bring the Sox up to a four-run lead in the fourth inning.

Well, crushed might be the wrong word. The ball cleared the right field fence with a mere 350 feet, landing just beyond Pesky’s Pole to bring Ramirez’s career home run total to an even 250.

According to the ESPN Home Run Tracker, Ramirez’s milestone blast wasn’t the shortest home run of the year — not by a long shot. That distinction currently belongs to Rays’ outfielder Corey Dickerson, who skimmed the left field fence at Rogers Centre with a 326-foot homer back in April.

Asdrubal Cabrera requests trade from Mets

Getty Images
5 Comments

It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.

Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:

Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.

This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.