UPDATE: It’s official. Jacoby Ellsbury is snakebit.
As a result of the tumble Ellsbury took over the first base bag on Friday night, he reinjured his left side and back. According to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe, he is headed back to Boston for an MRI.
“It’s very concerning,” said manager Terry Francona. “The exam that [trainer Mike Reinold] gave him is very concerning. We’ll get him looked at as quickly as we can so we can try to make a decision going forward.”
Ellsbury said he experienced sharp pains in his back and side during and after the game. The Red Sox will obviously take every precaution, but it sure sounds like another lengthy trip to the disabled list could be in his future.
Friday, 10:58 PM: Well, this is no good. Jacoby Ellsbury left tonight’s game against the Rangers with left side pain, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe.
Ellsbury took a bit of a tumble over the first base bag while trying to beat out a ground ball on the first play of the game, so that likely had something to do with his early exit. The speedy center fielder remained in the game through the first three innings, but was replaced in center field by Darnell McDonald to begin the fourth.
We knew Ellsbury wasn’t completely pain-free when he returned, but he said it was something he could play through. I’m speculating, but the fact that he took himself out of the game is a pretty bad sign.
Stay tuned for more.
Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes will opt out of his contract shortly after the World Series concludes. Cespedes, who earned $17.5 million for the 2016 season, has two years and $47.5 million remaining on his deal which includes an opt-out clause.
That Cespedes plans to opt out isn’t surprising as he’s almost certain to get a better contract entering a weak free agent market. He hit a terrific .280/.354/.530 with 31 home runs and 86 RBI in 543 plate appearances for the Mets this past season.
It remains to be seen how the Mets will deal with potentially losing Cespedes. They can pick up a $13 million club option for Jay Bruce, but he performed terribly after joining the Mets in a trade from the Reds. The Mets could also go after free agents Jose Bautista or Mark Trumbo. Curtis Granderson and Michael Conforto will handle the other two outfield positions.
Major League Baseball announced on Wednesday that former Red Sox DH David Ortiz and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant won the 2016 Hank Aaron Award in their respective leagues.
Ortiz, 40, flourished in his final season, batting .315/.401/.620 with 38 home runs and 127 RBI in 626 plate appearances during the regular season. His .620 slugging percentage, 1.021 OPS, and 48 doubles led the majors while his 127 RBI led the American League. Ortiz also won the Hank Aaron Award back in 2005.
Bryant, 24, is the likely winner of the National League Most Valuable Player Award as well. He hit .292/.385/.554 with 39 home runs and 102 RBI over 699 plate appearances. He also led the league by scoring 121 runs. Bryant is the first Cub to win the Hank Aaron Award since Aramis Ramirez in 2008.
Last year’s winners in the AL and NL, respectively, were Josh Donaldson and Bryce Harper.