Francisco Rodriguez set to return to Mets today

Leave a comment

Francisco Rodriguez is scheduled to return from his two-game suspension tonight, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya spoke with reporters before Friday’s game, expressing his disappointment in Rodriguez’s actions.

“It’s not acceptable,” Minaya said Friday, before the Mets opened a series against the Philadelphia Phillies.
“He understands that. He admits that. He feels really bad, of course.
He put not only himself, he put his teammates and the organization in a
bad light.”

Minaya said the two-game suspension without pay “was the right amount of time” for a suspension, but multiple sources told Rubin that the team likely would have faced a grievance and found themselves before an arbitrator if they tried to hand down a suspension for longer than two games. According to David Waldstein of the New York Times, Rodriguez has agreed to undergo anger management treatment, however if he somehow changes his mind and rejects the treatment, he could face further discipline. 

Because of back-to-back complete game shutouts by Johan Santana and R.A. Dickey, the Mets haven’t actually needed a closer over the past two days. Journeyman left-hander Pat Misch opposes Roy Halladay tonight, so it’s possible Jerry Manuel could give K-Rod some work.

Report: Diamondbacks to trade Michael Bourn to the Orioles

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - AUGUST 21:  Michael Bourn #1 of the Arizona Diamondbacks reacts after striking out during the eighth inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at PETCO Park on August 21, 2016 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)
Denis Poroy/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Heyman of Today’s Knuckleball reports that the Orioles and Diamondbacks have agreed in principle to a trade involving outfielder Michael Bourn. The trade is in the process of being finalized. It is not yet known what the Diamondbacks are receiving in return.

Bourn will be the second outfielder the Orioles have acquired on Wednesday, as the club also claimed Drew Stubbs off waivers from the Rangers.

With rosters expanding on Thursday, the Orioles are making a concerted effort to bolster the team’s outfield depth. Both Stubbs and Bourn are eligible for the Orioles’ postseason roster if the club makes it.

Bourn, 33, hit .261/.307/.362 with 21 extra-base hits, 30 RBI, 43 runs scored, and 13 stolen bases in 358 plate appearances.

Orioles claim Drew Stubbs off waivers from the Rangers

SEATTLE, WA - SEPTEMBER 7: Drew Stubbs #15 of the Texas Rangers walks off the field after an at-bat during a game against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on September 7, 2015 in Seattle, Washington. The Rangers won the game 3-0. (Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images)
Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Orioles have claimed outfielder Drew Stubbs off release waivers from the Rangers, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. The club designated for assignment pitcher Kyle Lobstein, whom they acquired from the Pirates earlier on Wednesday, to make roster space for Stubbs, Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

The Rangers designated Stubbs for assignment last week. After clearing waivers, Stubbs refused an assignment to Triple-A Round Rock, so the Rangers released him on Monday.

Stubbs, 31, has taken only 67 plate appearances this season — 42 with the Braves, 25 with the Rangers — as he missed a lot of time between mid-May and mid-August with a sprained left toe.

With rosters expanding, the veteran Stubbs will simply add to the Orioles’ outfield depth.