Carlos Gomez placed on disabled list with concussion

6 Comments

Is it just me, or have there been an abnormal amount of head injuries lately?

Carlos Gomez is just one of the latest victims. He was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Cubs right-hander Brian Schlitter on Monday night. After being held out of the lineup for the past two games, the Brewers placed Gomez on the disabled list Friday with a concussion, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Gomez was scheduled to undergo testing Thursday to evaluate whether he was ready to return to the lineup, so it sounds like the Brewers are playing it safe here. As they should.

All Brewers fans surely wish Gomez the best, but one interesting wrinkle is that 24-year-old outfielder Lorenzo Cain will replace him on the 25-man roster. Gomez’s struggles combined with a resurgent season for Cain with Triple-A Nashville have many wondering who the center fielder of the future will be. Cain only managed five at-bats during a brief three-game stint with the club last month, but he should get a long look now.

J.D. Martinez tells teams he prefers an outfield role

Getty Images
3 Comments

Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.

That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.

Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.