Pedro Martinez turned down offers from "several teams"

6 Comments

This headline from an Associated Press story tells us what we already know by now. No, Pedro Martinez will not pitch this season. The interesting part, however, is that he said he turned down offers from “several teams” over the past two weeks.

Martinez said he was “very happy” to receive the offers and called them “very tempting,” but that he plans to spend the rest of the year with his kids and going on vacations. Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told us last month that the 38-year-old right-hander had yet to throw off a mound, so if true, he’s hardly in baseball shape, anyway.

Any guesses on who the teams may be? I’m thinking the Phillies, Cardinals and Dodgers, just off the top of my head.

Martinez hasn’t ruled out pitching in 2011, but I’m starting to accept the very real possibility that Game 6 of the 2009 World Series was the last we’ll ever see of him. Kind of a bummer, really.

Jose Reyes is hitless in 20 plate appearances to start the season

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
4 Comments

Mets backup infielder Jose Reyes pinch-hit and popped up in the top of the eighth inning of Thursday night’s game in Atlanta against the Braves. That ran his streak up to 20 consecutive hitless plate appearances to start the 2018 season. He has reached base once, however, on a walk, so there’s that.

Reyes, 34, signed a one-year, $2 million contract with the Mets near the end of January. At the time, the Mets hadn’t yet signed Todd Frazier, so Reyes was in the mix to contribute as a utilityman but he has operated as a bat off the bench for the most part this season.

One wonders how much longer the Mets are going to let Reyes flounder. According to FanGraphs, he has already been worth a half-win less than a replacement-level player. Only eight other players have been as bad or worse this season.