The Mets won't demote or cut Oliver Perez

11 Comments

It’s one thing to make a mistake with a big contract. Just about every GM — including some good ones — have done that.  It’s another thing altogether to compound the mistake by never admitting you made it in the first place and carrying on as if everything is hunky dory. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the New York Mets:

Two sources said Monday that the team had totally given up attempting to
convince Perez to accept a minor league assignment. “That’s done,” one
source said. “He’s not going to agree to go down” . . .

. . . For months, the team offered a flat “no” to the possibility that it
would cut Perez and swallow the remainder of a three-year, $36 million
contract awarded him before the 2009 season. Monday, sources said that
stance had not changed.

So basically Perez will only pitch in lost causes, if he even sees action then.  Which means that the Mets have effectively decided to play the remainder of the season with one less roster spot than the Phillies and the Braves.  All because Omar Minaya (or whoever is making the call) won’t admit a mistake in signing Pereze and DFA him as God and Nature intended.

Mets fans: this is why you can’t have nice things.

Report: Reds sign Ben Revere

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds have signed outfielder Ben Revere to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports. Revere is expected to take home a salary between $1 million and $1.5 million if he makes the major league roster, Heyman adds.

Revere, 29, spent last season with the Angels. He batted a light .275/.308/.344 in 308 plate appearances. Revere does have some speed as he stole 21 bases last year.

Revere will try to earn a spot on the roster as a backup outfielder. The Reds’ starting spots are spoken for with Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton, and Scott Schebler.