Astros finalize extension for right-hander Brett Myers

Leave a comment

The Astros agreed to a multi-year contract extension with right-hander Brett Myers on Saturday, and on Sunday afternoon full details of the new deal were revealed.  Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the breakdown of years and money.

Myers, 29, was a steal for the Astros this winter and has been one of the few bright spots in a season full of downers.  Through 21 starts he has posted a 3.10 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP and an 8-6 record on a bad Houston team.  He has also fanned 113 batters in 145 innings while holding opposing right-handers to a .250/.302/.337 batting line.

This new deal will pay him $7 million in 2011 and $11 million in 2012.  He also has a $10 million option for 2013 with a $3 million buyout. 

If Myers continues to pitch like he has this season — which isn’t entirely unfeasible in the lowly NL Central — it should come in as a solid extension for both sides.  The Astros have a long road back to contention, but they seem to be rebuilding in the right way.  Now if only they could draft well.

Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski says trading Allen Craig would be “ideal”

Allen Craig
AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez
Leave a comment

Allen Craig has been dreadful since the Red Sox acquired him from the Cardinals in the mid-2014 John Lackey trade, slashing .128/.234/.191 in 107 plate appearances last year and .152/.239/.203 in 88 plate appearances at the major league level this year.

Craig hasn’t been the same player since suffering a Lisfranc injury in 2013, and the 31-year-old first baseman and corner outfielder is still owed $20 million from a five-year, $31 million extension he signed with the Cardinals. So, yeah, the Red Sox would love to find a taker this winter, as new club president Dave Dombrowski told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal on Tuesday …

You don’t often hear an executive express that kind of thing publicly. It was former Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington who brought Craig to Boston.


Video: Javier Baez hits go-ahead three-run bomb in NLDS Game 4

Javier Baez
AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast
Leave a comment

Cardinals starter John Lackey had a clean first inning in Game 4 of the NLDS on Tuesday afternoon at Wrigley Field, but Anthony Rizzo opened the bottom of the second a shift-beating single to the left side of the infield and then Starlin Castro reached on a fielder’s choice grounder to short. Kyle Schwarber came through with a single and Jason Hammel followed a Miguel Montero strikeout with a two-out, run-scoring liner up the middle.

Enter young shortstop prospect Javier Baez, who’s filling in for the injured Addison Russell in Game 4 as the Cubs try to advance to the NLCS …

Opposite field. Wind-aided, sure, but it probably didn’t need the wind anyway. What a shot.

Chicago leads the visiting Cardinals 4-2 as the sixth inning gets underway at Wrigley.

Juan Uribe not close to being available for the Mets

Juan Uribe
Leave a comment

Mets infielder Juan Uribe has been sidelined since late September with a chest injury and it sounds like he won’t be available for the NLCS if New York advances.

Mets manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that Uribe has yet to resume baseball activities and continues to experience discomfort.

Uribe was a useful late-July pickup for the Mets and hit .253 with 14 homers and a .737 OPS in 119 total games for three different teams this season, but his postseason role would be pretty limited even if he were healthy.