HBT Trade Deadline Tracker


Here’s the latest on baseball’s most buzzed-about trade targets.

Last update: Thursday, July 29, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT

Roy Oswalt: The Astros and Phillies completed a deal on Thursday afternoon.  The Phils will get Oswalt, obviously, and $11 million to cover the $23 million remaining on the right-hander’s contract.  Houston got left-hander J.A. Happ, infielder Jonathan Villar and outfielder Anthony Gose, then flipped Gose to Toronto for first baseman Brett Wallace.

Adam Dunn: The Nationals appear to have softened their asking price for Dunn, but the White Sox are believed to be out of the running and the Yankees only have fringe interest. The Nationals haven’t even made Dunn an offer on a contract extension so it appears like they’re intent on dealing him, but a deal has not come together yet.

Prince Fielder: The White Sox had been mentioned, as have the Rangers and Angels, but Texas and Anaheim seem like longshots and White Sox seem more intent on picking up Adam Dunn.

Ted Lilly: With Haren gone and Oswalt either on his way to Philly or staying put, Lilly would seem like a nice fallback. There was some noise about the Phillies having an interest as of yesterday, but Lilly has a no-trade clause that includes them.  The Dodgers have been looking at him, but they’ve been said to be looking at everyone, and no one believes that Frank McCourt is going to allow the team to take on payroll. The Yankees are said to “like” Lilly and the Mets could certainly use him.  The Twins, meanwhile, are out.

Brett Myers: The buzz on Myers has been positively schizophrenic. One hour there’s word that he’s more likely to move than Oswalt, and the next hour someone says he’s “untouchable.”  If Oswalt moves expect Myers to stay, but since he can walk at the end of the season it’s not clear why Houston doesn’t try to get something for him.

Jayson Werth: Various chatter continues — Buster Olney recently said that the Tigers were scouting Werth — but it’s looking more and more like Werth isn’t going anywhere. He certainly doesn’t think he’s going anywhere.

Jose Bautista: The Phillies have reportedly been scouting Blue Jays games and some think it’s because of Bautista, who Philly could use to play third base until Chase Utley returns (with Polanco at second). He’s hitting home runs by the bucketful again, however, and that may just convince the Jays to keep the arbitration eligible Bautista around.

Corey Hart:  Talks had begun between the Brewers and the Giants, but they’re “dead in the water.” Hart is still day-to-day an injury to his right wrist, and there’s not much chance Milwaukee could move him unless he shows he can hit. Given that he’s now saying that won’t be until Friday, the chances of him moving before the deadline are somewhere between slim and none.

Scott Downs
: Not the biggest name around, but the Jays’ setup man may be the best reliever available at the moment, and the Jays are apparently asking the moon for him.

Derrek Lee: Lee reportedly turned down a trade to the Angels and now says he doesn’t want to go anywhere for the rest of the season. As is his right as a 10-5 guy.

Mike Lowell: Tearing things up on a minor league rehab assignment, the Rangers reportedly still have some interest.  The Red Sox are expected to activate him from the disabled list on Friday and will seek a trade partner well into Saturday afternoon.

Miguel Tejada: The Padres reached a deal for Tejada on Thursday, sending minor league right-hander Wynn Pelzer to Baltimore.  Pelzer, 24, had a 4.20 ERA and 1.66 WHIP over 94 1/3 innings this season at Double-A San Antonio.

Jorge Cantu: The Marlins dealt Cantu to the Rangers on Thursday afternoon for minor league right-handers Evan Reed and Omar Poveda.  Neither are promising prospects, but Cantu isn’t exactly a high-impact hitter.

Matt Capps: The Nationals closer has drawn only mild interest despite strong numbers this season in Washington.  The Twins are known to be in the running and are reportedly engaging in discussions for the right-hander.

Report: Indians have been in touch with Shane Victorino

LOS ANGELES, CA - AUGUST 01:  Shane Victorino #18 of the Los Angeles Angels makes a catch for an out against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium on August 1, 2015 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)
Photo by Harry How/Getty Images
1 Comment

Outfield is a glaring need for the Indians, but they aren’t expected to shop for any of the big names on the free agent market. Instead, they are looking at potential bargains on short-term deals. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that Shane Victorino falls under this classification and that the veteran outfielder is among many names the Indians have contacted.

Victorino, who turns 35 on Monday, has been limited to just 101 games over the past two seasons due to injury. Coming off back surgery, he batted just .230/.308/.292 with one home run and seven RBI over 204 plate appearances this past season between the Red Sox and Angels while battling calf and hamstring injuries. It’s hard to see the upside at this point, but the Indians could promise him regular at-bats, especially with Michael Brantley likely to miss the start of the 2016 season following shoulder surgery.

The Indians have also reportedly discussed trading either Danny Salazar or Carlos Carrasco for a bat, which represents their best chance of adding a big name to their outfield this winter.

Korean slugger Byung-ho Park is reportedly traveling to Minnesota

Byung-ho Park

Could the Twins and Korean slugger Byung-ho Park be close to finalizing a contract?

According to Naver Sports (via a translated report from Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press), Park is scheduled to travel to the United States on Sunday. The 29-year-old is expected to make a quick stop in Chicago to meet with his agent, Alan Nero, before coming to Minnesota to see Twins officials and take a physical exam. If all goes well, a contract could be finalized as soon as next week.

The Twins bid $12.85 million last month to secure exclusive negotiating rights with Park. The deadline to complete a deal is December 8. If a deal is not worked out, Park would remain with the Nexen Heroes in the KBO (Korea Baseball Organization) and the Twins would not have to pay the posting fee.

Right now, it’s unclear how far along the two sides are in negotiations. However, Berardino hears that a guarantee in the range of $20-30 million is reasonable to expect.

Park, a two-time MVP in the KBO, has amassed 105 home runs in 268 games over the past two seasons. It’s hard to tell how those numbers will translate, even after the success of Jung Ho Kang this season, but the Twins are hoping he can be a middle-of-the-order force.

Miami Police Department considers Yasiel Puig case closed

Los Angeles Dodgers' Yasiel Puig waits to bat during batting practice prior to a baseball game against the Oakland Athletics, Wednesday, July 29, 2015, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill

We have more details about Yasiel Puig‘s reported “brawl” at a bar in Miami. And while it’s a regrettable situation, it appears to be less serious than previously believed.

According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Major Delrish Moss of the Miami Police Department confirmed that Puig was involved in a fight with a bouncer. However, Moss described it more as a “scuffle” than a “brawl.” The Dodgers outfielder suffered injuries to his face, including a swollen left eye, while the bouncer was left with a “busted lip” among other minor facial injuries.

While the bouncer alleged that he was sucker-punched by Puig, Moss said that neither were interested in pressing charges. As a result, the Miami Police Department considers the case closed.

TMZ reported that the fight with the bouncer took place after Puig got into a physical altercation with his sister. However, Moss said that “no shoving was alleged” and that “to the best of our knowledge, the only physical altercation was between the bouncer and Puig.”

Major League Baseball is still expected to investigate the incident under their new domestic violence policy.

Erik Johnson likely to open 2016 in the White Sox rotation

DENVER, CO - APRIL 09:  Starting pitcher Erik Johnson #45 of the Chicago White Sox delivers against the Colorado Rockies during Interleague play at Coors Field on April 9, 2014 in Denver, Colorado. The Rockies defeated the White Sox 10-4.  (Photo by Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)
Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
1 Comment

With the White Sox losing Jeff Samardzija to free agency, Erik Johnson will likely get a shot to contribute out of the rotation to open up the 2016 season, GM Rick Hahn said in a conference call on Wednesday, per a report from MLB.com’s Scott Merkin.

“As we sit here today, I think it will be an opportunity for Erik Johnson to convert on sort of the return to form he showed back in 2015 when he was International League pitcher of the year for [Triple-A] Charlotte,” Hahn said. “Obviously, he got some starts in September and continued to show the progress in Chicago he had shown in the Minor Leagues over the course of the last season.

“So if Opening Day were today, then I think Johnson is penciled in to that spot in the rotation right now. In all probability, once we get closer to spring, there will be some competition for him to earn that spot. But if we were strictly looking at today, then I would think Johnson has the inside track on filling Samardzija’s innings.”

Johnson was called up from Triple-A Charlotte in September and made six starts, allowing 14 runs (13 earned) on 32 hits and 17 walks with 30 strikeouts in 35 innings. That followed up an impressive five months in the minors where he compiled a 2.37 ERA and a 136/41 K/BB ratio across 132 2/3 innings.

Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, and MLB.com each included Johnson on their top-100 prospect lists, ranking him 63rd, 67th, and 70th, respectively. The right-hander was selected by the White Sox in the second round of the 2011 draft.