Carlos Zambrano apologizes, just not to his teammates

1 Comment

During an interview with ESPN’s Pedro Gomez on Monday, Carlos Zambrano apologized to Cubs fans for the June 29 tantrum that landed him on the restricted list.

“It was a moment of frustration,” Zambrano said Monday in an interview
with ESPN. “I was trying to fire up the team. Lee told me to shut up,
and I got more excited. I apologize from the bottom of my heart. The
last person I would be mad at is D. Lee; he’s a Gold Glover. I was just
mad at myself.”

And that’s all well and good, aside from the fact that just last week, Cubs manager Lou Piniella said he wanted Zambrano to apologize to his teammates before speaking to the media. Here’s a flashback:

“I think it’s more important for him to clear that hurdle first,”
Piniella said of the apology. “And once he does that, then talk to the
media. I think that’s the right approach from him…We’re just going to
let him talk to the team, whatever he wants to say. Whenever he gets
here, we’ll have a little meeting and let Carlos say what he needs to
say.”

Zambrano has already apologized to Derrek Lee personally, but according to Gomez’s report, he won’t do so with the rest of his teammates until he re-joins the team in Colorado on Friday.

For what it’s worth, Piniella had little to say about the ESPN interview when asked by Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune on Monday:

“I don’t have any comment about that,” Piniella said about the
television interview, in which Zambrano appeared contrite. “I do know
what is needed — that’s for him to talk to his teammates when he gets
here over the weekend, assuming he gets here over the weekend. He needs
to get that handled and he’ll be accepted back by his manager and his
teammates.”

I’m not a Cubs fan or anything, but even if Big Z’s remorse is legitimate, his priorities appear to be in the wrong place.

Orioles are eying Welington Castillo as their primary catcher target

BALTIMORE, MD - SEPTEMBER 25: Welington Castillo #7 of the Arizona Diamondbacks warms up prior to taking an at bat against the Baltimore Orioles in the second inning at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on September 25, 2016 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Matt Hazlett/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Leave a comment

A report from the Baltimore Sun’s Dan Connolly suggests that free agent catcher Welington Castillo currently tops the Orioles’ list of potential backstop targets for the 2017 season. With Matt Wieters on the market, the Orioles lack a suitable platoon partner for Caleb Joseph behind the dish, and Connolly adds that the club has been discussing a multi-year deal with Castillo’s representatives since the Winter Meetings.

Castillo batted .264/.322/.423 with the Diamondbacks in 2016, racking up 14 home runs and driving in a career-high 68 RBI in 457 PA. His bat provides much of his upside, and Connolly quoted an anonymous National League scout who believes that the 29-year-old’s defensive profile has fallen short of his potential in recent years.

For better or worse, both the Orioles and Castillo appear far from locking in a deal for 2017. Both the Rays and Braves have expressed interest in the veteran catcher during the past week, while the Orioles are reportedly considering Wieters, Nick Hundley and Chris Iannetta as alternatives behind the plate.

Report: Phillies agree to minor league deal with Daniel Nava

KANSAS CITY, MO - SEPTEMBER 12:  Daniel Nava #12 of the Kansas City Royals bats during the game against the Oakland Athletics at Kauffman Stadium on September 12, 2016 in Kansas City, Missouri.  (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

The Phillies reportedly signed veteran outfielder Daniel Nava to a minor league contract, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Nava began the season on a one-year contract with the Angels, during which he slashed .235/.309/.303 through 136 PA in the first half of 2016. He was flipped to the Royals in late August for a player to be named later and saw the remainder of his year go down the drain on an .091 average through 12 PA in Anaheim. After getting the boot from the Angels’ 40-man roster in November, the 33-year-old outfielder elected free agency.

Nava is expected to compete for a bench role on the Phillies’ roster in the spring. As it currently stands, the club’s projected 2017 outfield features Howie Kendrick and Odubel Herrera, with precious little depth behind them. Nava’s bat is underwhelming, but at the very least he offers the Phillies a warm body in left field and a potential platoon partner for one of their younger options, a la Tyler Goeddel or Roman Quinn.