Magglio has fractured ankle, out for next 6-8 weeks

5 Comments

As first reported by Jeff Blair of the Toronto Globe and Mail, Tigers outfielder Magglio Ordonez has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and will miss the next 6-8 weeks.

The 36-year-old Ordonez had been battling ankle soreness for over a week, but he did major damage on Saturday when he was thrown out at the plate in the third inning.  It’s obviously a serious blow to the Tigers, who are chasing the White Sox in the American League Central while also trying to fight off a talented third-place Twins team. 

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski will almost certainly ramp up his efforts to find a middle-of-the-order bat and the deadline to make such a deal is July 31.

There’s another element to this story.  Ordonez signed a five-year, $75 million contract back in 2005 that included a hefty $15 million club option for 2011.  But that option is no longer guaranteed if he fails to reach 540 plate appearances this season, and it certainly appears that he won’t.  He’s sitting on 365 PAs right now.

Yoenis Cespedes leaves game with pulled hamstring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets and Braves are playing today and it’s not a great day for the Mets in the injury department.

First they scratched Noah Syndergaard with a “tired arm.” Now they’ve lost Yoenis Cespedes, who pulled up limping at second base following a double in the bottom of the fourth:

The team has announced that he has pulled his left hamstring.

Cespedes, of course, missed three games over the weekend due to hamstring issues. That was merely tightness, however, and following an off day and a rainout, Cespedes played last night without incident. But it now looks as though he’s going to miss some serious time.

No done deal for Jeter and Jeb: Rob Manfred says two groups still in play for the Marlins

Getty Images
7 Comments

For all of the headlines about Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush buying the Miami Marlins, this is looking like anything but a done deal. First is the small matter of the billion and a half bucks Jeter and Jeb need to put together. Then there’s the matter of there being another . . . mystery bidder!

That according to commissioner Rob Manfred who says two groups are still bidding to buy the Marlins. He said this morning at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum, adding “There is no agreement in place. We’re working with more than one group . . . there is not a signed document on any topic.”

Despite this, Manfred said that “the timeline is relatively short; it would be measured in days, not months.” So someone is likely to find that billion and a half bucks soon, I reckon.