Jim Riggleman to remain Nats manager in 2011

1 Comment

Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo told Bill Ladson of MLB.com that Jim Riggleman will remain the manager of the Nationals next season.

“Yes, he will be back next season. He has done a terrific job,” Rizzo
said.

“He is a terrific baseball manager. He has great respect from his peers
in this game. When the game starts, he is as good as anybody in the
game. He has the respect in the clubhouse. He is a diligent worker and
he is a loyal employee.”

Entering play on Friday, Riggleman has led the Nationals to a 75-96 record since taking over for Manny Acta last July.

After exploring other candidates last offseason, the Nationals officially removed the interim tag from Riggleman last November. Ladson writes that Riggleman was signed to a one-year contract with an option for 2011. That’s not exactly true. According to this report by Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post in April, Riggleman was signed a to two-year contract with an option for 2011, however only one year was guaranteed. The Nationals retained the right to buy out the remainder of his contract after the 2010 season for $100,000.

It doesn’t matter now, though, because it looks like they’ll keep him in the fold.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”