The Cardinals' Shelby Miller is not untouchable

7 Comments

Brian McTaggart, Matthew Leach and Todd Zolecki of MLB.com confirm and add some more detail to my report from last night about the Cardinals’ interest in Roy Oswalt. Specifically regarding what the Cardinals may have to give up in order to get him:

The Cards’ most compelling potential trading chip for most teams would
seem to be 2009 first-round Draft pick Shelby Miller, a right-hander who
has been on a roll lately at low Class A Quad Cities. Farm director
Jeff Luhnow was given the opportunity on Wednesday to classify Miller as
untouchable, but declined to do so. He said the right-hander quite
surely would not be moved for a two-month rental player, but that for a
longer-term upgrade, any and all prospects could conceivably be in play.

There was a lot of back and forth in the Twitterverse last night about whether getting Roy Oswalt is worth Shelby Miller, especially if the Astros aren’t picking up any salary.  My take on it is this:  By the time Miller is ready to be a front line starter in the major leagues, Albert Pujols and Matt Holliday will be at or near an end and the Cardinals’ best chance to win a World Series — now — is likely gone.  Oswalt for Miller is definitely a “win-now” move, but the Cardinals are a team that has no choice but to be on a “win-now” footing.

It’s a lot of money to take on, no question, and it’s always hard to give up a top pick. But the best reasonable scenario for Shelby Miller is that he becomes another Roy Oswalt, right? At the outside? And that’s several years from now.  I pass up that bird in the bush if it means making the playoffs for the next two or three years with Albert Pujols in his prime and a rotation of Carpenter-Wainwright-Oswalt-Garcia, don’t you?

Phillies, Red Sox interested in Carlos Santana

Getty Images
6 Comments

The Phillies and Red Sox appear intent on pursuing free agent first baseman Carlos Santana, MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports. Santana rejected a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Indians on Thursday and is expected to draw widespread interest on the market this winter. The Mets, Mariners, Angels and Indians could make a play for the infielder, though no serious offers have been made this early in the offseason.

Santana, 31, is coming off of a seven-year track with the Indians. He batted .259/.363/.455 with 23 home runs and 3.0 fWAR last season, making 2017 the fourth-most valuable year of his career to date. Although he was primarily stationed at first base over the last year, he could step back into a hybrid first base/DH role with the Red Sox, who are hurting for infield depth with Hanley Ramirez still working his way back from shoulder surgery.

As for Santana’s other suitors, the Mariners are far less likely to pursue a deal after trading for Ryon Healy last Wednesday. Neither the Mets nor the Phillies have a DH spot to offer the veteran infielder, and the Phillies’ Rhys Hoskins appears to be blocking the way at first base. Then again, Santana may not find a more enticing offer outside of Cleveland, where Edwin Encarnacion might otherwise be the club’s best option at first base. During the GM meetings, Indians’ GM Mike Chernoff said he “love to have both [Santana and Jay Bruce] back” in 2018, but hasn’t backed up that love with any contract talks just yet.