Marlon Byrd is still taking whatever Victor Conte gives him

3 Comments

I shook my head last year when Yahoo! first reported the relationship between Marlon Byrd and former BALCO bad boy and “cream” and “clear” creator Victor Conte. The upshot: Conte supplies Byrd with all manner of supplements, the identity and nature of which Byrd has only the vaguest notions. Byrd was then and remains today the only Major League Baseball player who works with Conte.

Yahoo!’s Steve Henson updates the story today and not much has changed.  We do learn, however, that after last year’s story came out Major League Baseball went ballistic at one of its players working with Conte and demanded a meeting with Byrd over it all.  That never happened, apparently because MLB realized that Byrd (a) hadn’t failed any drug tests; (b) has always been a good baseball citizen; and (c) was still an American citizen with some freakin’ rights, dadgummit.

My head-shaking over it all wasn’t (and still isn’t) inspired the same thing that sparked Major League Baseball’s ire — the mere association with Conte — my thing was Byrd’s seemingly total trust in the guy. In last year’s story Byrd said he never even asks what’s in the supplements he’s given by Conte, and there is no indication in today’s article that he’s acquired any additional curiosity.

And, hell, now that I think about it, maybe it’s better that he’s going through Conte than diving into the supplement world himself. As we’ve learned in recent years, a large number of over-the-counter supplements contained banned substances, many of which aren’t even listed on the label. It would be easy for someone to mess up and take a banned substance. At least Conte has (a) expertise; and (b) the motive to grow his business from its post-BALCO ashes. He knows that if one of his athletes test positive for something he’s beyond ruined.

But even if I don’t subscribe to the idea of guilt by association, it is rather amazing to me that a ballplayer would associate with Conte in this day and age.  I like Byrd so I hope it doesn’t burn him, but man, I don’t know that I’d take that chance.   

Scott Feldman underwent season-ending knee surgery

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Reds announced on Tuesday that starter Scott Feldman underwent season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. The right-hander was placed on the disabled list with knee inflammation on Friday.

Feldman, 34, made 21 starts this season, posting a 4.77 ERA with a 93/35 K/BB ratio in 111 1/3 innings. He’s a free agent after the season but may have to settle for a minor league deal going into 2018 given his age and recent injury woes.

MLB to implement code of conduct for fans next year

Rob Carr/Getty Images
5 Comments

Following an embarrassing scene at Fenway Park earlier this year in which Orioles outfielder Adam Jones was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him, Major League Baseball will implement a universal code of conduct for fans at major league ballparks starting next season, ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.

MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said, “We are working with the clubs on security and fan conduct initiatives at all of our ballparks. We will be issuing a league-wide fan code of conduct for the 2018 season.”

As Lauber notes, every team has its own code of conduct but some are more thorough than others. The Red Sox added “hate speech” to their code of conduct after the Jones incident and Major League Baseball, unsurprisingly, wants to make sure fans at every ballpark are clear on what behaviors will and will not be tolerated.

Since the Jones incident, Major League Baseball has been encouraging teams to be more inclusive, though Kennedy clarified that “there’s not been any directive or mandate.”