8:48 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Burnett cut his hand on a plastic lineup card after slamming a set of double doors in the Yankees’ clubhouse after the second inning. To make matters worse, he told the Yanks coaching staff at first that he tripped, and that the lacerations were an accident. Burnett said he plans to apologize to the entire team on Sunday.
6:41 PM: A.J. Burnett left Saturday’s game against the Rays in the third inning due to cuts on his right hand, according to Tim Britton of MLB.com.
Burnett allowed four runs on four hits — including a two-run home run by Reid Brignac — over two-plus innings before being relieved by Dustin Moseley. He also hit two batters and committed an error.
When Yankees manager Joe Girardi was interviewed during the game on FOX, he said he wasn’t aware how Burnett suffered the cuts on his hand. Just a short while ago, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman informed Kim Jones of YES Network that Burnett tripped up some stairs and scraped his hand while bracing his fall. It’s not known when or where the incident occurred, though I’m sure this isn’t the last we’ve heard of this.
ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported on Monday that the Angels have received inquiries from multiple teams concerning starter Hector Santiago. He adds that the club is willing to listen to offers. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports and MLB Network reports that the Marlins are among the teams that have inquired.
Santiago, 28, has pitched to a 4.32 ERA with 96 strikeouts and 47 walks in 110 1/3 innings. Sabermetric statistics such as FIP, xFIP, and SIERA think the lefty has pitched even worse than his ERA indicates however, pitting 2016 as his worst performance to date.
Santiago is earning $5 million this season and will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility going into 2017.
We also learned earlier that, in an effort to bolster their starting rotation, the Marlins have also shown interest in Wade Miley of the Mariners and Jeremy Hellickson of the Phillies.
The Rangers placed DH Prince Fielder on the disabled list last week due to more neck discomfort. On Friday, Fielder met with Dr. Drew Dossett, who performed spinal fusion surgery on Fielder in 2014 for a herniated disk in his neck. Dossett has recommended another procedure, so Fielder will undergo season-ending surgery this week, Jeff Wilson of the Fort-Worth Star Telegram reports.
Fielder was having a rough season, batting .212/.292/.334 with eight home runs and 44 RBI in 370 plate appearances. He played in only 42 games in 2014, but returned in 2015 looking more like his old self. Unfortunately, neck and back issues are notoriously difficult to fix. Hopefully, this upcoming procedure does the trick for Fielder.
Fielder is owed $24 million per season through 2020, with the Tigers paying $6 million of it per season.