Costs are down, revenues are up, and our stock has never been
“We are exactly on budget,” Marlins President David Samson told a
pack of reporters during a media tour of the construction site
Thursday. “There will be no overruns.”
The surrounding neighborhood has yet to feel the domino effect
of the new construction. Yet with the stadium about 40 percent complete,
Samson insisted the neighborhood around the former Orange Bowl will get
a much-needed shot in the arm.
“This will be an area that
will have people every single day,” Samson said. “What I really want
to build is a neighborhood.”
Good for the finances of the deal anyway. I still worry about the neighborhood. You’ll recall that Old Gator took me on a tour of the construction site back in March. His thought then — with which I agreed wholeheartedly — is that if the ballpark draws like people hope it will, the traffic will be a nightmare due to the absence of public transportation and the fact that there really aren’t any major thoroughfares in and out of the neighborhood.
And it is a neighborhood. Houses, small apartment buildings and lots of side streets. If a ballpark grew up there in 1925 alongside a subway system or something, hey, mazel tov. Now? It could be really rough getting in and out.
Of course Gator is convinced no one is going to go anyway, but I’ll let him explain why he thinks that in the comments.
This is more significant for basketball fans than baseball fans, but Magic Johnson is taking over basketball operations for the Los Angeles Lakers. Dan Feldman over at PBT has the full story on that.
For our purposes, you probably know that Johnson is part of the Dodgers ownership group. Anthony McCullough of the L.A. Times got comment from the Dodgers, saying that despite his new full-time job, his status with the Dodgers will be unchanged:
Maybe I’m alone in this, but I’m not entirely certain what Magic does with the Lakers, so the first clause in Kasten’s comment may be doing most of the heavy lifting here.
Jon Heyman reports that the Nationals are closing in on a deal with catcher Matt Wieters. Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that it’s a two-year deal. UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal reports that the deal is for two years, at $21 million. There is an opt-out for him after year one. He will get $10 million in 2017 and, if he returns in 2018, he’ll get $11 million.
Wieters was not expected to go this long without signing, but his market, which many thought would be robust, never materialized. The Nats had been rumored to be interested for months, but they were apparently waiting to swoop in late and get what one presumes will be a bargain.
Wieters, 30, finished last season hitting .243/.302/.409 with 17 home runs and 66 RBI in 464 plate appearances. The Nationals currently have Derek Norris and Jose Lobaton, so who falls where in the catcher fight in Washington is unclear, but one presumes that Wieters getting a two-year deal puts him at the top of the depth chart.