Jon Paul Morosi thinks so.
He notes today that the Tigers have pushed back Porcello’s latest AAA start from today until tomorrow, and says it’s not because of an injury. Rather, he’s told that the Tigers made the decision from up in Detroit and that the pushback may be to accommodate a scouting contingent coming in from out of town.
There haven’t been any reports of the Tigers looking to move Porcello before now, but Morosi says the Tigers don’t rule anything out when it comes to this kind of stuff and that no one is “untouchable.”
It would be hard for the Tigers to cut bait on Porcello a mere year after his auspicious debut, but the fact is that the Tigers are poised to win now, Porcello isn’t helping them and if he could be flipped for a pitcher or a shortstop or something that could help them take control of the Central, they probably feel like they have to make that deal.
Thursday is September 1, which means rosters expand. As a result, the Nationals plan to promote pitcher Mat Latos to the major league roster, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Latos had an opt-out clause for Monday, but after discussing the matter with the team, he agreed to stay at Triple-A Syracuse until Thursday.
Latos, 28, put up a 4.62 ERA over 11 starts with the White Sox before being released in mid-June. Nearly two weeks later, he signed a minor league contract with the Nationals.
In the Nationals’ minor league system, Latos has made three starts for the club’s Gulf Coast League team as well as three for Syracuse. In aggregate, the right-hander has yielded six runs (four earned) on 20 hits and 10 walks with 28 strikeouts in 28 innings.
Latos will likely pitch out of a long relief role for the Nationals and can be used as starting rotation insurance as well.
Mark Buehrle hasn’t officially retired, but he hasn’t thrown a pitch in professional baseball since last October. Still, the Blue Jays wouldn’t mind having some insurance, so manager John Gibbons recently texted Buehrle, “You know, rosters expand in September,” Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith reports.
Buehrle’s response? He texted back a picture of a lake. Sounds like he’s not interested in making a return, at least this year.
Last year, at the age of 36, Buehrle went 15-8 with a 3.81 ERA with a 91/33 K/BB ratio in 198 2/3 innings while leading the league with four complete games. He fell 1 1/3 innings shy of a 15th consecutive 200-inning season. There are many worse ways to end a career.