The Yankees: less than break even to get Cliff Lee

7 Comments

We’ve seen people get excited about Yankees scouts watching Cliff Lee pitch (never mind that he was pitching against the Yankees in one of those games! It’s significant, I tells ya!), but really there hasn’t been any strong reason to believe that New York is all that interested.  And now we hear more on the total “meh” that is the Yankees’ non-pursuit of Cliff Lee.

I’m paraphrasing, but Buster Olney basically says that the Yankees think they could get Cliff Lee if they wanted to, but like, they’re not totally into him.  Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthal reports that some insider tells him that the Yankees are “kicking the tires” on Lee, like he’s a used Oldsmobile or something. Rosenthal’s source says that the Yankees have less than a 50% chance of getting Lee.

Know what I think? I think that the Yankees just want to be troublemakers here.  They want to see if they can’t make the Twins and Mets — rivals in one vague form or another — overpay and, hey, if they give the New York writers something to do besides figure out what LeBron James’ latest breakfast Really Means, all the more fun.

The Yankees don’t need Lee now.  They can easily outbid anyone for him in December.  This is all fun and games for them.

Blue Jays sign Steve Pearce to a two-year deal

NEW YORK - MAY 09: Steve Pearce #28 of the Baltimore Orioles looks on from the dugout during the game against the New York Yankees at Yankee Stadium on May 9, 2015 in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Rob Tringali/SportsChrome/Getty Images)
Getty Images
2 Comments

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the Blue Jays have signed Steve Pearce to a two-year deal worth $12.5 million.

Pearce, 33 had some health issues in 2016, but he hit .288/.374/.492 across 302 plate appearances when he was on the field and he mashes lefties in particular. Pearce is versatile as well, logging time at first base, second base, right field, left field, and DH in 2016 while splitting time between the Rays and Orioles.

Jung Ho Kang’s DUI arrest was his third since 2009

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 10:  Jung Ho Kang #27 of the Pittsburgh Pirates fields a ground ball in the second inning during the game against the St. Louis Cardinals at PNC Park on June 10, 2016 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)
Getty Images
6 Comments

Last week Pirates infielder Jung Ho Kang was arrested in South Korea for driving under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of an accident. That’s bad, but it turns out that it’s nothing new. The Yonhapnews Agency reports that Kang has been arrested for DUI three times since 2009:

Gangnam Police Station in southern Seoul confirmed that it was Kang’s third DUI arrest, with the three strikes law resulting in the immediate revocation of his license. According to police, Kang had also been arrested for a DUI in August 2009 and May 2011. No personal injuries were reported in either case, though he’d caused property damage in the latter incident.

The report also notes that a companion of Kang initially claimed that he, and not Kang, was behind the wheel at the time of the accident which led to Kang’s arrest last week. It was later revealed by the car’s black box, however, that Kang was driving. So add in some obstruction of justice, whether it is charged or not, to the scene. Police are investigating that.

Between all of this and the fact that Kang is under investigation for an alleged sexual assault in Chicago this past season, a pretty ugly portrait of the Pirates’ infielder is beginning to reveal itself.