All the parties to the Great Texas Rangers Clusterbang will be at a mediation starting at noon today, and there’s no telling what will come out of it. Maybe they all leave happy and ready for a judge’s rubber stamp. Maybe someone loses an ear. Could go either way, really. If fisticuffs break out I got money on Nolan Ryan coming out on top.
If there’s anything other than a hearty chorus of Kumbaya coming out of that conference room today, the Rangers are going to be auctioned to the highest bidder on July 16th. That according to Barry Shlachter of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, who reports that the Rangers have agreed to the auction scenario recommended by the court appointed restructuring dude last week. The judge could still put the kibosh on it, but now that everyone seems to be on board, it will probably happen barring some kind of breakthrough at the mediation today.
And it’s really only kind of an auction in that the court has agreed to still allow Major League Baseball to have veto power over the winner. So, if Houston businessman Jim Crane wins — and he was reported to be the high bidder the last go-around — he’s probably S.O.L. because Shachter (and others) report that he remains persona non grata in MLB circles. Harder to say what happens if the Jeff Beck/Dennis Gilbert team participates again and bids high. Gilbert is a Selig favorite, but he may not even be part of the proceedings anymore. In other news, allowing baseball to hand pick their owners despite the fact that they probably don’t really have the legal right to do so is totally weak.
Final fun fact: last night Chuck Greenberg’s publicist sent out a press release telling everyone that Team Greenberg has its financing in place and its purchase money in escrow. This is likely a result of increasing chatter — which began with my report back in December — that Greenberg’s financing was shaky (I haven’t heard anything new on that recently, but Buster Olney made mention of this just the other day).
So that’s fixed, and Greenberg wants to make sure everyone knows it. Granted, I’ve never been accused of suffering from a cynicism deficit disorder, but I tend to take a press release that says “everything is great!” as a sign that everything wasn’t great before the date of the press release. Otherwise the stuff in the press release is not news, see. So congratulations Mr. Greenberg on fixing the financial problems you claimed you never had.
Twins’ right-hander Nick Burdi is set to undergo Tommy John surgery on his right elbow, the team announced on Friday. Burdi made 14 appearances for Double-A Chattanooga before succumbing to a torn ulnar collateral ligament and is not expected to make his major league debut until mid-2018 at the earliest. A UCL tear doesn’t always require Tommy John surgery — less severe cases can be treated with platelet-rich plasma injections, for example — but Twins’ chief baseball officer Derek Falvey told the press that surgery was unavoidable as Burdi had sustained a “full thickness tear” in his elbow.
Entering the 2016 season, Burdi was widely considered a top ten prospect in the Twins’ system. His exceptional velocity and potent fastball-slider combo made him a fearsome relief option as he came off of his first season in Double-A Chattanooga in 2015. During the 2016 season, however, the 24-year-old experienced a significant setback after a bone bruise cut his season short in late July. Prior to Friday’s diagnosis, he appeared to be staging an impressive comeback with the Chattanooga Lookouts this spring, decorating his efforts with a sparkling 0.53 ERA, 2.1 BB/9 and 10.6 SO/9 over 17 innings.
It’s a tough break for the Twins, whose farm system was ranked 21st in the league by Baseball America. “Obviously he’s proven when he’s healthy he’s an absolute premium prospect, and the Twins are treating him that way,” Burdi’s agent, Matt Sosnick, told Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press. “We just want to make sure everything we do ultimately leads to the goal of getting him back on the field as quickly as he can.”
Things have gone from bad to worse for Red Sox’ outfielder Brock Holt, who was shut down “for the foreseeable future” on Friday after meeting with head trauma specialist Michael Collins. The Red Sox placed Holt on the 10-day disabled list in April after he began experiencing vertigo, the latest in a series of head injuries he’s sustained since last spring.
According to the Boston Herald’s Jason Mastrodonato, the outfielder was initially advised to attempt playing through his symptoms, but it quickly became apparent that the strategy wasn’t going to work. Now, the plan is to shut him down from any game activity in the hopes that he’ll be able to recover from all lingering symptoms before returning to the roster. Club manager John Farrell told reporters that the 28-year-old is still cleared to take batting practice and work on his defense, but won’t continue his rehab starts in Triple-A Pawtucket for the time being.
Holt had been making regular appearances for the Pawtucket Red Sox and was batting .209/.292/.372 with two home runs through 14 games this spring. This season marks his fifth run within the Red Sox’ organization. He experienced a bit of a slump at the plate in 2016 and slashed .255/.322/.383 after breaking out during his first All-Star year in 2015.
Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe suggests that the team’s concern for Holt extends past his setbacks at the plate. It’s still a long road to a full recovery, and while Farrell told reporters he believes the outfielder is on track to make a return sometime in 2017, he’ll need to make sure that Holt is both physically and mentally prepared to do so.