Remember that Buster Olney article I linked yesterday in which he relayed anonymous GM scouting reports on other GMs? Well, Brian Sabean — who was pretty much slammed in it — isn’t happy with the results:
“I’ve never talked to Buster. I tried to reach him today
to have a productive conversation. I was told he polled 12 GMs and 7
responded . . . The article is what it is, but it’s backhanded. There
should be further explanation and there is not. It comes down to
management style, and when it comes down to it, he didn’t poll 30
Sabean’s actually wrong on the numbers: Buster actually got responses from 12 GMs, not seven. Seven of those 12 named Sabean the most difficult guy to deal with. Finding seven GMs to agree on anything seems like a pretty tall order, so I’m willing to give Olney the benefit of the doubt here.
Not that Olney’s poll was perfect or anything. One of the respondents described Arizona Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes thusly: “I think he’s smart as hell, he’s well thought-out, and he’s a good
That would be ex-Diamonbacks GM Josh Byrnes, of course. Between his firing and Sabean’s inexplicable longevity, I guess being as smart as hell doesn’t count for much these days.
Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.
On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.
Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.
As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.
Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”
The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.