The Buster Olney story I mentioned earlier today in which he got the inside dirt from general managers about general manager is up. It’s Insider only, however, and will be in the July 12th edition of ESPN the Magazine. Some highlights:
- Easiest GM to make a deal with: Jim Hendry, Cubs. And no, it’s not because he’s a bad GM who is easy to fleece. It’s because he’s a nice guy and people just like him. And because he’s easy to fleece, I’d guess.
- Toughest: Brian Sabean, for the points mentioned in today’s earlier article. Ned Colletti is an honorable mention because GMs don’t know that he really has any authority when they talk to him. Probably because he’s being steered by a couple of psycho owners and V-Energy and everything.
- Great quote about Omar Minaya being a “card player”: “He’ll offer you a $5 bill and ask for two 10s in return.”
- An intriguing vote of confidence for Theo Epstein: “Theo’s career has been helped by being in Boston, but I think that if
you had put him in Kansas City five years ago, they’d be pretty good
- And finally, something I’ve heard said about the Rays’ Andrew Friedman before, though I’m not sure we know enough about what GMs do all day to really say for sure: “He’s the best GM in the game.”
Anyway, it’s a pretty neat article. One of the few that ESPN puts out there that, in my opinion anyway, justifies an Insider subscription. If they did more stuff like this I’d tell everyone to put their money down for it.