O's Brian Roberts is finally doing … something

1 Comment

You may have forgotten that the Orioles have one of the top second basemen in the league.  OK, maybe not.  But it sure does seem like Brian Roberts has been sidelined for an eternity with back and lat muscle issues.

According to MLB.com’s Noah Rosentstein, Roberts has finally begun participating in light baseball activities.  What does that entail, exactly?  We don’t know.  But neither does O’s interim manager Juan Samuel and he’s satisfied nonetheless:

“What that means, there’s no description to it, but he just added very
light [baseball activities],” Samuel said Saturday. “That’s what my
report says.”

Roberts is probably jogging lightly, hitting off a tee, and possibly even fielding some slow-rollers.  He has been on the disabled list since the first week of the regular season and the hope is that he will return during the month of July.  Of course, the Orioles are already 24 games back in the American League East with a record of 22-52.

Marco Estrada signs a one-year, $13 million deal for 2018

Getty Images
1 Comment

Marco Estrada and the Blue Jays have agreed to a one-year, $13 million extension with the Blue Jays, reports Jon Morosi of MLB.com. Last night Morosi reported that the sides were near a deal.

This extension is, functionally, like adding a year on to his old deal, which paid him $26 million for the 2016-17 seasons. As Bill noted last night. while the 34-year-old right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176.2 innings this year and has improved in the second half.

The Red Sox will air anti-racism PSA before games beginning next week

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Adrian Walker of the Boston Globe reports that the Boston Red Sox will air an anti-racism public service announcement at Fenway Park before their game on September 28. This is part of a large campaign backed by the Sox, the Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics, New England Patriots and New England Revolution “featuring athletes calling on fans to take a stand against racism and hate speech at sports venues.”

This comes in the wake of a group of protesters hanging an anti-racism banner in Fenway Park last week which, in turn came a few months after Adam Jones, like many visiting players of color before him, claimed that racial epithets were hurled at him by fans in the Fenway bleachers.

Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy tells the globe that the Jones incident is what inspired the PSA campaign:

“When the incidents in May occurred, one of the first things we recognized was sports teams are high-profile, and we have the opportunity to help lead a high-level discussion around this,” he said. “We wanted to take the lead in taking a stand against racism.”