After the Orioles acquired Jake Fox from the A’s earlier this week, Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com speculated that Garrett Atkins would be designated for assignment in order to make room for Saturday’s starter Brad Bergesen. It turns out that won’t happen, as Lou Montanez will go on the disabled list with an oblique strain.
Still, it’s essentially a foregone conclusion that Atkins will be released at some point in the near future. The 30-year-old infielder was signed to a one-year, $4.5 million contract with an $8.5 million club option for 2011 after being non-tendered by the Rockies last December, but entering Friday’s action, he is batting just .219/.282/.292 with one home run and nine RBI over 137 at-bats. He has just 11 at-bats this month and is making his first start since June 14 on Friday.
With the writing clearly on the wall, Atkins told Ghiroli that he doesn’t view his inevitable release as a bad thing.
“Not at all,” he said. “[It would] be a welcome opportunity.”
By the way, Atkins just grounded into a double play with the bases loaded in the bottom of the second inning against the Nationals. He’s doing all the little things to earn his release. You have to respect that.
Per ESPN’s Jesse Rogers, Jake Arrieta‘s agent Scott Boras says they’ll discuss a potential contract extension with the Cubs when they meet in January to hammer out arbitration figures.
Arrieta, 30, is entering his third and final year of arbitration eligibility after earning $10.7 million in 2016. The right-hander followed up his Cy Young Award-winning 2015 campaign by going 18-8 with a 3.10 ERA and a 190/76 K/BB ratio in 197 1/3 innings during the regular season. Arrieta pitched well in the postseason, helping the Cubs win their first World Series since 1908.
While Boras clients tend to go to free agency, it’s not always the case. Stephen Strasburg inked a seven-year, $175 million extension with the Nationals earlier this year.
Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald reports, citing a source as well as Nikkan Sports, that reliever Koji Uehara is close to signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the Cubs.
Uehara, 41, finished the 2016 season with a 3.45 ERA and a 63/11 K/BB ratio over 47 innings. He missed some time in the second half with a strained right pectoral muscle. When Uehara returned from the disabled list on September 7, he tossed 11 scoreless innings with 12 strikeouts and two walks through the end of the regular season. So there’s at least some evidence, albeit in a very small sample size, that Uehara has stuff left in the tank.
The Cubs recently acquired closer Wade Davis from the Royals. Uehara would join Hector Rondon, Pedro Strop, Carl Edwards, Jr., Justin Grimm, and Mike Montgomery in what is once again a very deep bullpen.