Valverde, Montero trade heated words through the media


Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero took a few shots at Tigers reliever and former teammate Jose Valverde on Friday night for the closer’s wild antics on the mound.  It’s not the first time that an opponent has questioned Valverde’s animated jumps and fist pumps, and we usually don’t get a response from the intimidating ninth-inning man.  But Montero must have really hit a nerve.

Here’s what Valverde offered to the Arizona Republic’s Nick Piecoro on Sunday morning:

“Tell Montero he’s a freaking rookie and I can do
whatever I want to. Tell him that. Put
it in the papers. If he wants to do something, tell him to come to my
locker and let me know. … I never liked Montero.  He’s a (bleeping) piece of (bleep). … Tell Montero he has two years (in the majors) and I have eight.”

At least he got the service time correct on the second try.  Montero fired back:

“He’s dumb. What do you want me to say? He’s smart? No. He’s just dumb.”

The Diamondbacks and Tigers will finish up a three-game interleague series on Monday then won’t meet again for the rest of the season .  So if this thing is going to come to fisticuffs, it will have to happen today.  Not that we’re rooting for a fight, or anything…

Indians promote Chris Antonetti to President, name new GM

Chris Antonetti
Leave a comment

In the seemingly never-ending trend of front office officials getting new titles, the Cleveland Indians just announced that General Manager Chris Antonetti has been promoted to President of Baseball Operations and Mike Chernoff is now the GM.

Antonetti has been the Tribe’s GM for the past five years and is moving up in the wake of team president Mark Shapiro moving on to Toronto. Shapiro, however, also held business side responsibilities which Antonetti will not assume. Meaning, as before, he will be the top guy on baseball ops decisions, albeit with a grander title.

Chernoff has been an assistant GM for five years and has been with the organization for the past 12 years. As many new GMs these days he will, functionally speaking, still be an assistant when it comes to baseball decisions.

Yoenis Cespedes says he’s 100%

Yoenis Cespedes
Leave a comment

Yoenis Cespedes, who took a pitch off his hand last week, scaring the bejesus out of Mets fans, said today that he’s “100 percent ready” for the NLDS against the Dodgers.

He sat out Thursday and then went 2-for-7 with a double and a walk in the Mets’ remaining games. While he only had bruises on those fingers, pain and discomfort have, in the past affected guys who have been hit on the hands, messing with grip and power. Cesepdes saying that’s not an issue is a good thing.