Michael S. Schmidt has a report in the New York Times today that last year — after Manny Ramirez came back from his drug suspension — he explored seeking an exemption from Major League Baseball in order to allow him to take drugs that would boost testosterone levels. Which, by the way, is what the drug he tested positive for last spring was designed to do.
According to Schmidt, “high-ranking Dodgers personnel, including General Manager Ned Colletti,” were involved in the discussions, and talked about whether he had enough of a
medical problem to obtain an exemption for a testosterone-boosting drug. Ultimately, however, Ramirez never sought an exemption.
Hard to say what to make of this story. If it’s true, it seems like evidence that Ramirez or those around him felt that he needed something to pick him up as he struggled in the second half last year. And if what Schmidt says is true, the Dodgers were among those thinking it.
The team denies that it took part in such discussions. I would hope their denial is truthful, because I don’t think it would be good for anyone if team brass was actually taking part in a “how can we get Manny Ramirez back on PEDs?” conversation.
(link via Dodger Thoughts)
The Miami Herald reports that the Marlins and Martin Prado have agreed to a three-year, $40 million contracy extension.
Prado has been highly effective for Miami, hitting .297/.350/.405 over two seasons The Marlins were eager to keep him and many teams were no doubt interested in trying to sign him this winter as he stood pretty darn tall on a pretty weak free agent market. He may very well have done better than the $40 million he’s getting, but a qualifying offer could’ve made the free agency process a bit more drawn out one than he would’ve preferred. And, of course, he seems very happy in Miami, as evidenced by his increasing role as a team leader with the Marlins.
For his career Prado has hit .293/.342/.423 over 11 seasons. He’ll now be locked up through his age-35 campaign.
The Cardinals got shellacked 15-2 by the Reds, one of baseball’s worst teams, last night. In so doing they fell a half game behind the Giants for the second Wild Card.
Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch wrote about last night’s game. What struck him was the reaction from the crowd at Busch Stadium:
And the fans, in a rare moment of pique, let the Cardinals hear about it, first booing and then erupting in a Bronx cheer when the final out of a seven-run fourth was recorded. They booed a little more later on and then many of them beat the traffic, with some of them at least leaving with a Grateful Dead T-shirt, a special theme night promotion . . . The paid crowd to witness the carnage was 34,942, snapping a string of 240 straight crowds here of over 40,000, dating to Sept. 24, 2013. Matheny said he noticed the reaction of the crowd and appeared to find little fault with it.
It’s been such a weird season for the Cardinals. Maybe the weirdest part of all has been how terrible they’ve been at home, with a record of 33-42. They have six more games at home, and they no longer control their own playoff destiny.
Is this booing and leaving a one-time thing, or will we see a lot more of it between now and Sunday?