While appearing on “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN 1050 in New York on Monday, Bobby Valentine confirmed that he did interview for the Orioles’ managerial vacancy last week, according to ESPN.com.
“I did go down there and I did talk with the owner [Peter Angelos] and
the general manager [Andy MacPhail] and they have a whole lot of
problems and they seem like they’re really putting their heads together
to try to solve them somehow, some way,” Valentine said on the show.
Valentine refused to get into specifics regarding the O’s job, however he did shed some light on whether he would be willing to accept the opportunity.
“It’s a big challenge,” Valentine said on the show. “I like big
challenges, but I like to have some reward too, and the reward is in the
standings and their standings don’t look like they’re going to turn
around very quickly.”
You can listen to the full interview here.
The Orioles have already interviewed Valentine and former Indians’ skipper Eric Wedge, but don’t expect there to be a speedy conclusion here. Just a short while ago, Orioles president Andy MacPhail told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that the managerial search may continue into the offseason.
After the Cubs won the World Series last month — their first since 1908 — owner Tom Ricketts said he plans to reach out to Steve Bartman to provide “closure.”
Bartman was the fan who interfered with left fielder Moises Alou’s attempt to catch a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS against the Marlins. Alou was particularly irate about Bartman’s presence and it led to the fan becoming persona non grata in Chicago. In the time since, even before the Cubs won the World Series, the club has tried to make amends but Bartman has rejected offers to speak publicly and he has also rejected invitations to Wrigley Field.
Alou pledged to make time to attend any ceremony the Cubs stage for Bartman, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago-Sun Times reports.
Alou said, “Why not? I’d like to meet Bartman.” He continued, “I have nothing against the guy. I said it right after the game. I had the ball, and I got upset, but at the same time it’s not that kid’s fault. Everybody goes to the ballpark, and they bring a glove. Every wants to catch a fly ball.” However, He still maintains that he would have caught the ball if he had not been impeded.
The Diamondbacks announced on Monday that the club signed catcher Jeff Mathis to a two-year, $4 million contract.
Mathis, 33, isn’t much with the stick as he owns a career .197/.254/.308 triple-slash line over parts of 12 seasons in the majors. The veteran, though, is well-regarded for his ability to play defense, call games, handle a pitching staff, and get along with his teammates in the clubhouse. As Craig mentioned last year, Mathis is often talked about as a future manager.
The D-Backs non-tendered Welington Castillo on Friday, so Chris Herrmann and Mathis are the team’s two catchers as presently constructed.