Roy Oswalt talks a bunch, says nothing

Leave a comment

oswalt sitting.jpgBefore Friday’s opener against the Yankees, Roy Oswalt dodged the obvious questions about a potential trade to the Bronx (via Brian McTaggart of MLB.com).

“From the very beginning, I’ve said I want to go to an organization that
wants to win, and the Yankees surely want to win,” Oswalt said. “I’m
going to let the front office and my agent handle that. My main focus
right now is just to put us in a situation to win every time I go out
there. The other stuff can handle itself.”

Oswalt, who has a no-trade clause in his contract, has already made it clear that he would like to go to a contender, but he downplayed a recent report by Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse that he would only accept a trade to a specific list of teams.

“Somebody said something about a list [of desirable destination teams]
not too long ago, and I don’t know anything about that,” Oswalt said.
“We’ll see where I fit as far as my options and go from there. So far, I
haven’t heard anything from the front office. They haven’t come back
and said anything, and until they approach me about a team that fits for
me and fits for the team, nothing’s been said.”

Some will take McTaggart’s report to mean that Oswalt would consider being traded to the Yankees and that could be very well be true. They certainly fit the mold of “a contender” and have the deepest of deep pockets. But in the end it’s not a whole lot different from what he told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post when he was asked about the Nationals two weeks ago. Nothing much.

Video: Jason Kipnis jokes around after Rougned Odor slides hard into second base

DETROIT, MI - JUNE 24:  Jason Kipnis #22 of the Cleveland Indians takes to the field for the ninth inning of a game against the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park on June 24, 2016 in Detroit, Michigan. Kipnis hit two triples and drove in three runs in a 7-4 win over the Tigers. (Photo by Duane Burleson/Getty Images)
Duane Burleson/Getty Images
Leave a comment

You may recall that, back in May, Rangers second baseman Rougned Odor got into a fight with Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista. Bautista slid late into second base, with which Odor took issue, so he punched Bautista in the face. That earned him a seven-game suspension.

With one out in the fifth inning of Thursday’s game against the Indians, Odor reached on a fielding error by first baseman Mike Napoli. Jonathan Lucroy then hit into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play. Odor slid hard into Jason Kipnis covering second base.

Kipnis, hearkening back to the Bautista fight, backed up as if he were afraid Odor would punch him. Odor got a good chuckle out of it, but it was the Rangers’ bench which perhaps enjoyed the joke most. The Rangers’ broadcast showing Adrian Beltre cracking up and telling his other teammates what had happened.

Carlos Gomez homered in his first at-bat as a Ranger

Carlos Gomez
AP Photo/Pat Sullivan
1 Comment

Rangers outfielder Carlos Gomez made his debut with his new team on Thursday night after a brief stint with Triple-A Round Rock. He started in left field and was inserted into the number eight spot in the Rangers’ batting order.

The Rangers made two quick outs in the bottom of the second inning, with Adrian Beltre grounding out and Rougned Odor striking out. But the inning was kept alive as Jonathan Lucroy singled and advanced to second base on a wild pitch, and then Mitch Moreland walked to bring up Gomez.

Gomez took a first-pitch cutter from Josh Tomlin for a ball, then jumped on another cut fastball, drilling it for a no-doubt three-run home run into the seats in left field at Globe Life Park in Arlington (#29 out of 30 in Craig’s ballpark name rankings).

Here’s the video.