Chris Coghlan was 4-for-4 with two walks, two doubles, an RBI single and four runs scored in a 14-9 win over the Rays on Friday night.
Last year’s National League Rookie of the Year scuffled to a .227/.276/.292 triple-slash through April and May, but he is 20-for-38 (.526) through the first nine games this month. The 24-year-old outfielder has hit safely in each of his last 11 games dating back to last month, eight of which are multi-hit games.
Marlins manager Freddy Gonzalez told Joey Johnston of the Tampa Tribune that he was never worried about Coghlan’s early season struggles.
“Look, you don’t worry about a kid like Chris Coghlan,” Marlins manager
Fredi Gonzalez said. “He just keeps working. He doesn’t change his
approach. By the end of the season, he’ll be hitting .300, probably
Coghlan enters Saturday’s action at .278/.331/.381
overall. Oh, and remember that it took him 105 at-bats to collect his first extra-base hit this season? Well, he has eight of them in just 38 at-bats this month. Is it possible that Coghlan was motivated by the prospect of losing playing time with Mike Stanton’s arrival to the big leagues? Perhaps. Coincidence or not, the Marlins will gladly take it.
Red Sox starter Drew Pomeranz hasn’t pitched in a week due to soreness in his left forearm. He threw a bullpen on Thursday afternoon and said, “I definitely feel like I can maybe help (as a reliever in the playoffs,” as ESPN’s Scott Lauber reports.
The Red Sox clinched the AL East on Wednesday, so they don’t need to rush Pomeranz along. And using him out of the bullpen might ultimately be best as he regressed quite a bit after coming to Boston from San Diego in July. In 13 starts with the Red Sox, Pomeranz has a 4.68 ERA with a 69/24 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings.
Eduardo Rodriguez and Clay Buchholz have been throwing the ball quite well as of late. Paired with Rick Porcello and David Price, the Red Sox still have the depth to be menacing in the postseason.
Remember Jesus Montero? The former Yankees and Mariners prospect? Well, he was picked up by the Blue Jays back in March after the Mariners waived him and played 126 games for Triple-A Buffalo this year. That went alright, I suppose, with Montero hitting .317/.349/.438 with 11 homers. He played a bit of first base too, trying to break the mold he’s been stuck in as a 26-year-old DH.
If this season was a platform for him to make one last push to the bigs, the platform was just pulled out from under him: he has been suspended for 50 games after testing positive for dimethylbutylamine (DMBA), a stimulant in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The minor league season is over, of course, so he’ll serve that suspension next season. Assuming the Jays keep him in the fold.