UPDATE: The Mets are off the hook with the Oliver Perez DL assignment

12 Comments

Oliver Perez headshot.JPGUPDATE:  Guess not. Andy Martino reports that Major League Baseball is “comfortable” with the Ollie Perez DL stint and has closed its investigation.  Apparently Perez suffered the most conveniently-timed knee injury in baseball history.

I’m inclined to think that teams abuse the DL for roster management purposes all the time. As far as I know, however, no team has ever gotten busted for it.

Oh well. Stay tuned for Ollie suddenly coming down with a terrible case of Badcontracism sometime soon, necessitating his move to the 60-day DL.

1:17 P.M.: As was reported over the weekend, eyebrows were raised when the Mets put Oliver Perez on the disabled list after a couple of weeks of trying to get him to accept a minor league assignment and at the exact moment his roster slot was needed for Jon Niese’s callup.  We learned on Saturday that MLB was reviewing it, but MLB reviews all roster moves so no biggie, right?

Maybe not.  Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog reports that he has heard from two MLB sources who characterize this as “a serious
investigation,” and that there’s a chance the transaction
gets reversed.

I don’t know what reversing the roster move would really entail. Certainly it would mean the Mets have to place Perez back on the roster and make a corresponding roster move to make room.  It’s doubtful that anything happens as a result of Niese getting  a start that was later adjudged to have been occasioned by an illegal roster move.  We’re probably talking a fine or something.

I’d have to think that if the move was found to be wrongful that the Mets would simply have to DFA Perez, right? I mean how can you keep a guy that you hate so much that you’d cheat the system to be rid of?

Court hears arguments for releasing 38 Studios records

Getty Images
Leave a comment

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) The fight over whether to release secret grand jury records in the criminal investigation into Rhode Island’s $75 million deal with a video game company started by former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling landed in a courtroom Wednesday before a judge who will decide whether to release them.

Gov. Gina Raimondo is pushing for the records in the 38 Studios investigation to be released, over the opposition of Attorney General Peter Kilmartin. The records include transcripts of witness grand jury testimony, which is given behind closed doors and is typically kept secret.

Schilling moved 38 Studios to Providence from Massachusetts in 2010 in exchange for a $75 million loan guarantee. It ran out of money and went bankrupt less than two years later. The legal wrangling since then has included a lawsuit against a number of parties that ultimately settled for a total of about $61 million, and a grand jury that concluded its work in 2015.

Kilmartin’s office did not ask it to return any criminal charges and has said prosecutors determined there was not enough evidence for any charges.

Assistant Attorney General Susan Urso argued to Superior Court Judge Alice Gibney on Wednesday that the public interest lies in maintaining grand jury secrecy.

“To grant the governor’s request would eviscerate the grand jury as we know it,” she said.

Future grand jury witnesses may see the release in this case and consider that their own testimony might eventually become public, she said. She argued that the request did not meet one of the narrow exceptions carved out in the law that allows disclosure of some grand jury material.

Raimondo’s lawyer, Jeremy Licht, argued that it was not a case where the records are being sought simply to satisfy curiosity about what happened.

“The 38 Studios saga really shook the public’s faith in their government,” he said. “This is a case where disclosure can restore public confidence.”

Jared Goldstein, a law professor at Roger Williams University, who was representing the Rhode Island chapter of the ACLU, argued in favor of disclosure. He called it a rare case, and noted that it involves public policy and the highest levels of state government, all the way up to the governor’s office.

Then-Gov. Donald Cariceri, a Republican, shepherded the deal with Schilling through. The Democratic-controlled General Assembly approved the legislation that paved the way for it. Kilmartin was a Democratic member of the House at the time. The company ran out of money under the watch of then-independent Gov. Lincoln Chafee, who opposed the deal when it was struck.

“Sunshine, as the old saying goes, is the best disinfectant,” Goldstein said.

He also cast doubt on the risk of public embarrassment, saying the players in the matter are already well known.

The judge didn’t immediately rule or say when a ruling would come.

Blue Jays-Cardinals game postponed due to our minds being blown over Chris Coghlan

Associated Press
7 Comments

The St. Louis Cardinals’ game against the Toronto Blue Jays for has been postponed because everyone is still trying to recover from Chris Coghlan jumping over Yadier Molina.

Wait, no, that’s not right. It’s been postponed due to rain.

The game has been rescheduled as part of a day-night doubleheader on Thursday.

Now, let’s go back and watch that again: