Kosuke Fukudome living up to 'Mr. April' label

Leave a comment

Kosuke Fukudome is hitting .288 with a .384 on-base percentage and .481 slugging percentage to rank second on the Cubs with a hefty .865 OPS, but the 33-year-old outfielder is in danger of losing starts because for the third time in three seasons he’s slumping after a great first month.
As a 31-year-old rookie in 2008 he hit .327 with a .915 OPS in April, but fell to .241 with a .695 OPS from May 1 on. Last season he hit .338 with a 1.052 OPS in April, but just .245 with a .753 OPS once the calendar flipped to May. And this year Fukudome batted .344 with a 1.084 OPS in April, but has hit just .250 with a .709 OPS in 30 games since.
Add it all up and in three seasons Fukudome has hit .335 with a 1.004 OPS in April compared to .244 with a .723 OPS in May, June, July, August, and September. Toss in rookie Tyler Colvin waiting in the wings with a .294 batting average and .966 OPS in 97 plate appearances in a part-time role and it’s easy to see why Lou Piniella is pondering a change, but Fukudome making $13 million this season and being owed another $13.5 million next year complicates things. And so far at least he’s been one of the Cubs’ best hitters.

Yoenis Cespedes leaves game with pulled hamstring

Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Mets and Braves are playing today and it’s not a great day for the Mets in the injury department.

First they scratched Noah Syndergaard with a “tired arm.” Now they’ve lost Yoenis Cespedes, who pulled up limping at second base following a double in the bottom of the fourth:

The team has announced that he has pulled his left hamstring.

Cespedes, of course, missed three games over the weekend due to hamstring issues. That was merely tightness, however, and following an off day and a rainout, Cespedes played last night without incident. But it now looks as though he’s going to miss some serious time.

No done deal for Jeter and Jeb: Rob Manfred says two groups still in play for the Marlins

Getty Images
7 Comments

For all of the headlines about Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush buying the Miami Marlins, this is looking like anything but a done deal. First is the small matter of the billion and a half bucks Jeter and Jeb need to put together. Then there’s the matter of there being another . . . mystery bidder!

That according to commissioner Rob Manfred who says two groups are still bidding to buy the Marlins. He said this morning at the groundbreaking for the Jackie Robinson Museum, adding “There is no agreement in place. We’re working with more than one group . . . there is not a signed document on any topic.”

Despite this, Manfred said that “the timeline is relatively short; it would be measured in days, not months.” So someone is likely to find that billion and a half bucks soon, I reckon.