UPDATE: Beltran was 1-for-5 with an RBI single and two walks as the designated hitter in his second extended spring training game on Saturday afternoon.
Friday, 9:01 PM: Carlos Beltran was 2-for-6 as the designated hitter in an extended spring training game on Friday afternoon, according to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork. It was Beltran’s first game activity since undergoing surgery on his right knee in January.
Beltran didn’t run beyond first base in the controlled setting, thus the Mets downplayed the significance of the event as “nothing crazy,” but before Friday’s game against the Marlins, Mets manager Jerry Manuel said that it is “fair to start the clock” on his return.
While the news is something for Mets fans to be excited about, general manager Omar Minaya told reporters last week that Beltran is unlikely to be activated from the disabled list before the All-Star break.
Dodgers manager Dave Roberts announced on Monday that Hyun-Jin Ryu will open the regular season in the starting rotation, MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick reports.
Ryu, 30, missed the entire 2015 season and made only one start last season due to shoulder and elbow injuries. The lefty has looked solid in three spring appearances, however, yielding a lone run on five hits and a walk with eight strikeouts in nine innings.
With Scott Kazmir likely to begin the season on the disabled list, that leaves Alex Wood and Brandon McCarthy to battle it out for the fifth spot in the Dodgers’ rotation.
Royals outfielder Jorge Soler has been diagnosed with a strained oblique, making it likely that he begins the regular season on the disabled list, Rustin Dodd of The Kansas City Star reports.
The Royals acquired Soler from the Cubs in December in exchange for reliever Wade Davis. Over parts of three seasons with the Cubs, Soler hit .258/.328/.434 with 27 home runs and 98 RBI in 765 plate appearances.
When he’s healthy, Soler is expected to find himself in the Royals’ lineup as a right fielder and occasionally as a designated hitter.