Mariners outfielder Milton Bradley spoke Saturday with ESPN.com’s Elizabeth Merrill on the strides he’s made as a person since running into trouble in early May with Seattle management. He’s grateful for the help that the M’s have given him this season and was hoping for similar assistance last year in Chicago, but failed to ever ask.
“I wanted to take some time out, get my thoughts together, and just
speak to someone and get an understanding from somebody unbiased,”
Bradley said. “But you can’t really do that in Chicago. There’s just
too much going on.”
Sounding calm and collected in a 45-minute interview with ESPN.com, he attempted to explain why he acts foolishly at times. He claims it’s because he cares, sometimes too much.
“Because I’m a big guy, a 210-pound, 6-foot baseball player, I’m strong
and can hit a baseball a long way,” Bradley said. “But I’m still human.
My heart still pumps the same blood as everyone else. I have feelings
and emotions, and my feelings are deep and strong.”
Bradley, 32, is 5-for-16 with three runs scored since being activated from the restricted list last week. The Mariners, as a team, are 2-2 over that span.
The Orioles singlehandedly kept the rumor mill churning this weekend. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi reports that the club is interested in making a play for free agent right-hander Lance Lynn, adding him to a list of potential candidates that also includes free agent righty Alex Cobb. The two are expected to command similar contracts in free agency, but Morosi notes that the Orioles may prefer Cobb based on his familiarity with the AL East.
Lynn, 30, is two years removed from Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. Despite missing the 2016 season, he bounced back with a respectable 11-8 record in 33 starts and complemented his efforts with a 3.43 ERA, 3.8 BB/9 and 7.4 SO/9 over 186 1/3 innings for the 2017 Cardinals. He lost several days with a blister on his pitching hand in early September, but managed to avoid any major injuries and can reasonably be expected to shoulder another heavy workload in 2018.
Lynn may not be the Orioles’ first choice to beef up their starting rotation, but there’s no doubt that he’ll be in high demand as one of very few viable starters on the market this winter. The veteran righty rejected his one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Cardinals on Thursday and will likely be seeking a multi-year contract, one that Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch estimates around five years and $100+ million. If the Orioles are willing to bite that bullet, they’ll still need to compensate the Cardinals with their third pick in next year’s draft.