Roy Oswalt says he has a "small window" to win

1 Comment

roy oswalt headshot astros.jpgRoy Oswalt addressed
reporters on Saturday, one day after it was revealed that his agent
Bob Garber informed Astros owner Drayton McLane of his request for a trade (via
Bernardo
Fallas of the Houston Chronicle
).

“I don’t want
people
to think I’m leaving because we’re not doing well,” Oswalt said
Saturday. “I have a small window (to return to the playoffs).”

Oswalt, 32, has two guaranteed years remaining on his contract. The veteran right-hander hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2005, when the Astros lost to the White Sox in the World Series. Though he has shifted his focus to joining an “immediate contender,” Oswalt said that he would consider coming back to Houston
to finish his career.

“I told (Astros
owner) Drayton (McLane) I’d love to come back and finish my career,”
Oswalt said. “I’d play another year just to do that.”

It’s one thing to read these quotes, but I recommend you watch this video posted by Alyson Footer, the Astros’ senior director of social media. Oswalt isn’t big on being the center of attention, but his reasoning sounds pretty straightforward and honest. Let’s hope Oswalt’s friend Drayton McLane does him and his team a favor by sending him to a contender and netting a few promising prospects in return.

Dodgers designate Sergio Romo for assignment

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images
1 Comment

The Dodgers announced on Thursday that the club activated pitcher Grant Dayton from the 10-day disabled list and designated pitcher Sergio Romo for assignment.

Dayton, 29, went on the disabled list earlier this month with neck stiffness. He’ll resume with a 3.63 ERA and a 20/12 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings.

Romo, 34, signed a one-year, $3 million deal with the Dodgers in February. It didn’t really work out, as the right-hander posted a 6.12 ERA with a 31/12 K/BB ratio in 25 innings. His peripherals are still decent, so it wouldn’t be surprising if a team in need of a bullpen arm makes a deal with the Dodgers within the week.

Nate Karns underwent season-ending surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome

Brian Blanco/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MLB.com’s Jeffrey Flanagan reports that Royals pitcher Nate Karns underwent surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome on Wednesday. He’s expected to be ready for spring training next year. Karns went on the disabled list in May with an elbow injury and didn’t make much progress.

The Royals acquired Karns from the Mariners in January in exchange for outfielder Jarrod Dyson. Over eight starts and one relief appearance, the 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 4.17 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio in 45 1/3 innings.

Karns will enter his first of three years of arbitration eligibility after the season, so he’ll be under the Royals’ control through 2020.