Just a little more bad luck for Mark Prior

1 Comment

Not satisfied with ruining the career of one of the best pitching prospects of all time, the distributor of bad luck took one last crack at Mark Prior recently. You know, just for good measure.
Prior hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2006, but the Chicago Tribune reports that he “started throwing again in hopes of one more comeback.” So, naturally this happened:

He recently took a line drive off of his pitching shoulder while throwing batting practice to a local team. He was shut down for three weeks although the injury is not considered serious.

Seriously.
It’s easy to forget just how amazing Prior was before all the injuries wrecked him. He was Stephen Strasburg before Stephen Strasburg, and lived up to the hype by going 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 strikeouts as a 22-year-old in his first full season. Sadly he won a grand total of just 18 more games after that and was last healthy at age 24.
Also, someone get the poor guy a net that he can throw from behind.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
5 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.