UPDATE: According to Sweeny Murti of WFAN, Cano is in Saturday’s starting lineup as the designated hitter, while Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Johnson will miss “several weeks” after receiving a cortisone shot for an inflamed tendon in his right wrist on Saturday.
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the Yankees have officially placed Johnson on the 15-day disabled list. Kevin Russo has been called up from Triple-A.
10:58 AM: As I mentioned in the previous post, Robinson Cano was plunked in the left knee by Josh Beckett during the sixth inning on Friday night. He actually stayed at the game, walking to first base, but was eventually replaced by Ramiro Pena after two pitches to the next batter Nick Swisher.
Fortunately for the Bombers, Cano is listed as day-to-day. Following Friday’s game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger that he “would be surprised” if Cano played on Saturday. Look for Pena to fill in, likely through the rest of the weekend.
While things could have been a lot worse for Cano, the prognosis for Nick Johnson isn’t quite as promising. Johnson was forced to leave Friday’s game due to soreness in his surgically-repaired right wrist. He is expected to undergo an MRI in New York on Saturday and is almost certainly headed for the disabled list. The Yankees are expected to make a roster move before Saturday’s game.
Free agent outfielder/slugger J.D. Martinez is reportedly seeking an outfield gig, says Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. According to Silverman’s sources, Martinez’s suitors have been informed that the veteran slugger would give preference to teams that can offer a corner outfield spot, rather than a DH-only role.
That could spell trouble for the Red Sox, who appear to be Martinez’s biggest suitors so far this offseason. Outfielders Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi are firmly established at the corners, and prior reports from club president Dave Dombrowski suggest that center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. is not going anywhere anytime soon (thereby eliminating the possibility of reshuffling the outfield). The DH spot is still wide open for Martinez, who doesn’t seem to be totally closed off to the idea, but any full-time or part-time role on the field is likely off the table at this point.
Of course, the Red Sox aren’t the only ones pursuing Martinez’s services this winter. The 30-year-old slugger has been linked to both the Diamondbacks and Giants in weeks past, and while they have the roster flexibility to accommodate his preferences, they’ll need to clear another massive hurdle: the seven-year, $250 million contract he’s said to be seeking. Both clubs will need to get creative to make such a deal work. The Diamondbacks are rumored to be shopping right-hander Zack Greinke in an attempt to free up some room on their payroll for Martinez, while the Giants appear more inclined to scour the trade market for outfield help than shell out cash for another hefty contract in free agency.